Author Topic: A whole dinner  (Read 1946 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
A whole dinner
« on: July 20, 2004, 13:17:11 »
Managed to cook a dinner for the family yesterday with everything from the allotment except the chicken... felt sort of proud really!  Runners, french beans, beetroot, spinach and potatoes... Not sure whether it was just in the mind but best tasting dinner I have had in a long time.. :)

P.s And it was the first time I was actually able to re-pay one of the ole boys up there by giving him a bag of spinach.. Feel like a real Pro now.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:A whole dinner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 13:22:21 »
isn't it a wonderful feeling!

And of course it tastes better - fresher, better/tastier varieties and (possibly) no chemicals.
gone to pot :D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 13:24:02 »
Nice feeling Eh!Proud ya should be too.Yes it does taste better when its not been sprayed with all kinds of chemicals and its straight from the plot on to the table.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 13:29:03 »
Yea it has renewed my enthusiasm!  It was getting a bit disheartning when I saw everybody elses plots far in advance if mine,., Amazing how quick things can change after a bit of rain mixed with SUN....  

Ad

cam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 13:37:16 »
I had that same feeling when i cooked my first meal with my own produce,felt really proud of myself!Mind you the onions were the strongest i've ever had,was crying like a baby,still the taste made it worthwhile.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 13:37:49 »
Well done -all you need now is a snare or a shotgun and you can do the lot  ;D If you're short of rabbits we've got plenty to spare.

Jeremy

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 14:55:37 »
Thanks for that

Dont tempt me!  I have not had Rabbit in years...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 14:56:01 by adamhill100 »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 16:22:23 »
Pigeon breast is quite nice! = Tim

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 16:24:18 »
Yea those little buggers may get it as well if they dont leave my Cauli leaves alone.. I know we should let nature have its piece of the cake but they are taking the rise.. >:(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 18:26:14 »
Congratulations Adam.  It is the best feeling, I have to agree.  I am proud as punch when I dish up dinner and it is all home grown, and last night, we had the lot, rabbit shot by Ava and roots all from the plot!  The best rabbit stew I have ever had!  'bout time you posted some photos of your plot!  ;D

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 18:31:27 »
I think your right... I must borrow a digi cam...!!   Had a real good day yesterday weeding as well which makes you feel better... I never like the thought of weeding but once its done its done.!  Just awaiting courgettes, toms & sweetcorn now., :P

tosh

• Not So New ...
  • tosh
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 22:19:27 »
Had to reply to this string.New to this site with a new overgrown allotment taken in April. We've just had our first full cooked homegrown meal (chicken apart) what a great meal. Can't find the right words but smug and deeply satisfying comes to mind.Know exaclty what you mean :D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 22:28:39 »
That feeling stays with you too.  I try to tell myself that it's a "sense of achievement" but you're right Tosh I admit I do feel SMUG - it's great when you have worked hard at something, you know it's good for you........ and the taste - well it's all been said already.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal