Author Topic: "Pinching out" ??  (Read 3120 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
"Pinching out" ??
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:25 »
Another silly question! I have sown some flower seeds this year for the first time, and don't know whether (or when) to pinch out the growing shoot to encourage bushiness or not!

I have sown:
Marigolds
Impatiens
Sweet William
Cosmos

Using the correct terminology (!), I believe I am about to prick them out - move them from the seed trays to individual pots.  Which ones need their shoots pinching out?  And when do I do it?

I have the same questions regarding courgettes, pumpkins, melons - perhaps I should put this in the Edible Plants section too! 

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: "Pinching out" ??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:08 »
Hi Lindsay, there is no need to pinch any of those plants out really.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 13:09:01 »
that's right...none  of them needs pinching...but with impatiens it is good to remove first lot of flower buds as they develope...you'll end up with better size plants before they start flowering....bigger plant= more flowers..

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 13:23:41 »
OK, thanks  - it was a stupid question, wasn't it?!   ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 13:32:01 »
NO!...not silly at all...we haven't born with all the knowledge..now you are that little bit wiser ;) Keep asking...one day you might end up writing encyclopedia for other newbies...

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 20:31:01 »
Hi Lindsay, no question is ever daft ;) I have asked MANY Q's that I have felt silly asking but have always been made to feel very comfortable by the answers given our lovely A4A members :D :D.

Just tell yourself..........we are all ignorant - in different subjects :D

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:30 »
Hi Lindsay, NO way was that a silly question , please ask anything , we all do nobody knows it all ;D, well some may think so but we all live & learn.
Keep up the good gardening, have a great summer, when it arrives. ;D ;D ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 17:58:13 »
.....and I for one am glad you asked it! I never know what to pinch out or how much to pinch anyway ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 18:04:38 »
it is good to remove first lot of flower buds as they develope...you'll end up with better size plants before they start flowering....bigger plant= more flowers..
This is what I have learnt today.  I have 40 plants on the go at the moment just about to poke through.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 18:14:40 »
I'm glad you asked as well, I'm growing lots of flowers for the plant sale and know nowt about them so, now I do  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 20:19:25 »
There is a lot of "tricks of trade" that growers are not always telling for home gardeners.
Lot of the specimen plants that are for sale nurseries & shops are pinched and shape pruned before they are allowed to flower...well that was when I did my training..I think nowadays  they use different chemicals for achieving different things. Like use of growth supressants to keep plants small but full of flowers...then you take cuttings off these plants and you are wondering why you never get them looking same...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 22:06:04 »
Crickey, such scull duggery. I would never have thought of anything like  that afoot. You live and learn. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 06:57:41 »
.I think nowadays  they use different chemicals for achieving different things. Like use of growth supressants to keep plants small but full of flowers...then you take cuttings off these plants and you are wondering why you never get them looking same...

:o
I did wonder how specimen plants always end up looking so good compared to home grown!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:30 »
Good example is miniture roses..if you have ever taken cuttings of these...well...they will not be miniture anymore...smaller than normal garden roses but nothing mini in them..
Osteospermums...you just cannot get them to flower same untill they are twice as size as the parent plant..
Then nurseries use different formula fertilizers during different stages of plant developement ...
If any of you ever have chance to get to see some open day or any tour around big produces..go for it!.. is so interesting...not gardening anymore... real science...
One day I will make efford to get Thompson & Morgan trial ground.. haven't done that one yet...
Anyway...have to go to greenhouse today to pinch out all my fuchias...they are ready for it... :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 10:48:42 »
Just came to mind...tip about pinching out...
Keep pinching all flowers of from newly planted hanging basket untill  the foliage/plants cover the baskets well...that way you get really full looking and good size "baskets"..and loads and loads of flowers...
If you add to that...during this pinching feed with "house plant feed" (for foliage with higher nitrogen content) eg. baby bio and then switch for feed for flowering plants eg.miracle grow (more potash) you'll end up with "show stopper"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal