Author Topic: Automatic windows  (Read 2335 times)

bumble

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Automatic windows
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:39 »
Hi

I have an automatic window vent in my potting shed that I have had replaced twice already.  At the weekend I noticed that it was again not working.  It is operated by wax I understand - can I mend this myself i.e. by melting wax and pouring it into the pipe or should I just get yet another replacement?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Automatic windows
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:46 »
I know this may be stating the obvious, but are you sure you have adjusted it ok? If it is really cold it should respond to adjustment of the screw mechanism to open it. I presume it was working ok before, but it seems strange you have had to replace it twice already. Is the window that it is on quite heavy? I know you have to get the right vent opener for the size of window, or else it isn't strong enough to open it, ? you need a bigger vent opener?

I have had three for years and no problems, although one occasionaly comes unscrewed on one side and we ended up supergluing it and screwing the thing down.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

bumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:29:22 »
Hi

Yes I have been adjusting the screw mechanism .  I don't think the window is too heavy but like you I have also had to reattach the opener to the frame as the screws keep coming out.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:34:02 »
If it was previously working ok, I'm not sure what else to suggest I'm afraid! I don't know if taking it apart would be successful....I would be tempted to get a heavy duty new one with a guarrantee! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 21:55:23 »
a squirt of oil on a regular basis helps them to last longer, don't forget it is a hot and humid place for any mechanical device to be.
rgds, tony
You couldn't make it up!

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 22:20:03 »
I know that the instructions with mine recommend that you remove them over the winter period.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 23:16:54 »
Before you chuck it away you could try putting it in the freezer or fridge for a couple of days. I remember something about this resetting them. Not recommending this, just last resort.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:03:38 »
i hav e one on my greenhouse, and was advised that if it stops working to replace it, something to do with the oil that activates it to open.  I would send it back on the guarentee and see if the new one is better.  They are a godsend mine opens at 25 degrees, don't even have to do anything lol

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:56 »
Hi all,  :)

I fitted one on the weekend. It was fiddly work but it now works perfectly,
yesterday the window was closed when I arrived on the plot in the morning and
opened as the day warmed up.

The packaging says they will replace it if it fails in the first year. It came from Homebase.

It was fiddly to fit as my greenhouse window doesn`t look like the one in the diagrams, I had to remove and drill parts of the greenhouse window frame. If the screws fall out maybe the mechanism is levering them out? maybe you could fit longer screws or bolts the suit your situation better?

Best of luck, keep us informed, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 13:51:33 »
Sorry to butt in now but I have the opposite problem - all of a sudden the thing is not closing properly and staying open about 5cm?  Any ideas

Jitterbug ???
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 14:32:26 »
I think it just needs adjusting so that it lies flat when it is cold, it sound as if you have it adjusted to open at too low a temperature.

bumble

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 12:23:09 »
Hi

Just to let you know that I phoned up the manufacturer of the automatic window vent and sent them a picture - they replied back that it had been fitted wrong (when the window was closed the vent should be in the upright position and not horizontal).  They have sent me another piston which I have fitted to vent and also repositioned the whole thing and now it is working just fine. 

Thanks for all your replies.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 16:30:01 »
Thats good then.  :)

Fitting the thing was fiddly and the instructions were difficult
but it was worth the effort and I`m pleased with the way it works.

I hope you will be too,

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal