Author Topic: Lose weight with us here!!!  (Read 43038 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 21:40:06 »
I'm still on a downward curve, but I now waver between 73.5kg and 74.8kg (usually after a big meal on Saturdays when Gordon is here). This time last year I weighed 79kg and have gradually lost weight mainly by eating less and trying to reduce my intake of choclit  :P and bikkies  :P.

But I use my Sundays to eat fruit - and only fruit. Every couple of hours a piece of fruit usually shows 1 kg less on the scales on Mondays. Then I try, sometimes not very successfully, to keep it off till the following Sunday. I reckon I've lost about 11lb this way and am still hoping to lose another 7 this year. I don't do any real dieting though - and we enjoyed a lovely rack of lamb with all the trimmings over Easter, so there are always a few setbacks along the way.

I'm happy though to keep on plugging away and posting here of the results and it IS gradually coming off. I just wish I could get rid of my tummy bulge. Doing 60 sit-ups three times a week doesn't seem to be shifting it much  :(

Tricia

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 22:29:53 »
I am back at weightwatchers (fat fighters for little britain fans) tomorrow. Need to lose weight to be comfortable - currently a little over 11 stone and this because I gave up my gym membership 18 months ago and didn't cut back on the eats. I am cmfortable between 9.5 and 10.

Happy to post my progress on the board - i guess my biggest economy is going to be giving up my 2 glasses of wine a night.
Oh well.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 10:12:20 »
Ok Started today!  :( lets see how long I can go!...................

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 11:06:52 »
Me too.. good for you. XX Jeannine

Ist goal to lose 3 pounds by 15th April !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 11:08:23 »
None of us will lose any weight sitting at the pc  ;) ;D

I need to lose some but Ive got a bad leg at the moment.....excuses excuses  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 11:10:45 »
Hey I can't walk and I am planning to lose it !!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 11:16:24 »
They say only weigh yourself once a week. I couldn't resist weighing myself everyday (probally why I smoke....)

Good Luck!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:56 »
That doesn't work for me, I prefer to do it daily as a matter of routine, writing what i eat works against me to,I find I get more irritated and can't be bothered so I pack it in.

excuses I know, but I know what to eat, what not to eat, when to eat and how much..my problem is I tend to eat on the run, not eat enough etc.

If I bring myself to task and give a bit of thought to what I am doing the following day I can do it, so for me keeping focused is the answer.

Also I love fat, any fat, cream or fat on meat, in fact I don't like lean meat, so if I organise myself and cut the fat out I can lose weight very easily. It just takes longer.. whole chicken in the oven;;bung it in.. skinned whole chicken takes about 10 minutes prep time, to skin, wrap etc.. That is my downfall.

XX Jeannine

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:40 »
Thank you for sharing  Jeannine, my situation is similar size 8/10 all my life until a back injury knocked me sideways. We all have our weaknesses, I do like the odd glass or two!! :P, the Lotti was my salvation but the weight has not come off! am following this thread for motivation :-\

greenfinger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 11:50:45 »
hi, I'm sooo glad to hear that I'm not the only one.....
Quitted smoking 6 month ago and I''ve put on some weight recently and my jeans are getting tighter and my belt shorter... know that feeling? :-\
I got some exercise video but it's so boring and repetitive.

I was wondering if anybody had ideas about exercising in a fun way? ( apart from digging weeds out obviously!_)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 12:19:46 »
Me too.. good for you. XX Jeannine

Ist goal to lose 3 pounds by 15th April !!

XX Jeannine

Great!! then I'll join you!
Just had a slim a soup and a salad and an apple :( avoided school dinner of onion rings, potato salad and soup!) step 1 complete! how about you J?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 12:20:21 »
I love the old excersise tapes by Richard Simmons, I am not sure if they are available here. He is very funny and sweet and his excercises are a hoot, usually to old pop tunes, the sort of things that automatically get you feet tapping.

He always has regular folks on the videos fron skinny to HUGE and there is no pressure as in say the Cher ones were eveyone looks like her.

XX Jeannine

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 12:24:27 »
walking really is the best exersise i think. i know some of us are less able to walk distances but i think if we   eat a little less and walk a little more its got to help. i also think that making small changes (i.e little less food little more exersise) its going to work long term.

my personal plan is to follow my own advice above and to cut out (or down drastically) on white carbs and make more soup from my allotment produce.  :D

i will join you on the lose three pounds by april 15th jeannine. that sounds do-able.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:07 »
Thanks Sarah, it is so much for fun when two or more are doing it.

XX Jeannine

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:05 »
I'm in.
8 years ago I gave up smoking and got my first grown up job (sitting in front of a computer all day every day :() and the pounds just crept on.
BUT! I have joined the gym and did my first session this morning (I can't lose weight by just changing my diet, I have to do lots of exercise as well)
I do feel better for it, although after spending yesterday digging I was pretty stiff and couldn't do all the stuff I was supposed to.
I'll join in the lose 3 pounds by 15th too :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 13:48:14 »
I'm not actively planning on losing weight, although I know I am carrying an extra 2 stone.  However, something I discovered by accident has helped me to lose a stone already (although it is blatantly obvious rofl).  Remove everything from your freezer that is processed.  Pasties/pies/fish fingers/chicken nuggets etc etc.  I did this, bought fresh meat from the market butcher and froze it and bought fresh fruit and veg, I got rid of all jars of sauce etc and made my own.  That is all I eat now and so far I've dropped a stone.  Obviously now I have a lottie I can grow my own fruit and veg.  I didn't actually do this to lose weight, I did it because my kids were sluggish, had no concentration span and grouchy.  It's cut my salt intake too.  Granted it's no good to anyone who's got a sweet tooth however!!

I'm hoping this combined with my training that begins this evening for the Race for Life this year will help me to shift the extra couple of stone without me actually going on a "diet".

Good luck to all with their goals, you can all do it, just keep chatting to each other and think of it as a lifestyle change not a "diet".  ;D ;D ;D ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 14:14:26 »
That is good advice Posie but in my case I don't buy any of those things already, I make everything from scratch and buy no convenience foods at all except Worcectershire sauce. I make all my own sauces, everything. Tinned stuff comes down to salmon and an emergency tin or two or corned beef which I don't eat and I buy one type of soup for John which is tomato but rarely use it as I make that too, same with baked beans, so I can't alter that much. I do have some tins of kidney beans but only because I saw them on a ridiculous sale at 2p a tin. I bought some Weight Watchers spaghetti the same day for 4p a tin but we opened one and gave the others away.

John won't eat anything that isn't made from scratch and we both hate convenience foods. The reasons are a..because we don't like it, b.. because it can't be as good for you as fresh food.

Neither one of us  really drink either, John never under any circumstances, I about 2 drinks a year, but I do use alcohol in cooking.

I do agree though that this kind of food can pile weight on and it is good advice

I even make potato crisps although not often because of the fat.

XX Jeannine

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 15:42:04 »
Apparently there are "diet" plates you can get, with allocated space for certain food groups.  Never used one but they sound like they could be helpful.  Anyone else tried one?
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 15:53:20 »
My problem is primarily caused by the demon alcohol - I drink a lot of wine - and lack of exercise.  My next biggest weakness is cheese, but I'm trying to avoid that other than occasional goat or sheep cheese in a tomato and onion salad.

Apart from the cheese, with respect to eating habits I'm a fairly good boy (hardly ever eat cakes biscuits crisps etc), processed food isn't allowed across our threshold - unless you count cans of coconut milk, and I cut out puddings, except on special occasions, a long time ago.

Re red meat: Doctor has said I should only have red meat twice a week - I've cut down to three, which is a start  :)

However to shed the pounds it's tackling the first two that will make the difference.

Jeannine, you're a great cook so probably have already considered it, but could you substitute olive or better still rape seed oil for some of the fat in your recipes or use emulsified sauces rather than cream based ones?

Twirlie

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 16:06:24 »
I haven't tried the plate but I've heard about them, just depends on how high you plie each section!!!!!!  As a dancer who is not naturally a twig and who loves food I always found it hard.  A good fitness book I once read is body for life, very popular in the States.  Portion size is described as a Baked potatoe being the same size as your fist, same for lean protein IE chicken breast.  It does encourage you to eat 6 times a day which I found hard. But the portion size thing made sense to me.  I now go to weight watchers, I stopped danceing profesoinally 18months ago and piled the weight on. Size 16!!!! So far since Jan I have lost 19 pounds.  I can't believe it as I'm not working out, just dancing the same as before I started.  I'm not hungry at all, can munch on veggies whenever I want something between meals and the W.W. deserts for when you want a naughty are great!
So I say after all the starvation diets, diet pills that can be dangerous 10hours a week in the gymn plus dancing every night, I think Weight watchers beats them all!!!!!
Richard Simmons is the bomb though isn't he!  He used to do charters on the cruise ships I worked on, he is crazzzzzzzy!!!!!!!  Really sweet guy too!  Good luck everyone! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal