Author Topic: Lose weight with us here!!!  (Read 43113 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Lose weight with us here!!!
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:49 »
Hi I need to lose some weight, I know I am not on my own and I wondered if starting this thread might help us.

We can post our joys and downfalls, recipes  etc and support each other

What is hard, what is easy, why we want to lose even

Posting you weight is optional as is posting your goal weight.

We are bound to have some folks with food allergies that want to lose and this might help.

I only have John at home, not very much the ra ra ra man and if I mention it at work it will be just a series of groans of failed attempt stories.

What do you think folks..

I really need to do this.

Much like the US support group TOPS..take weight off sensibly

I will keep bumping the thread up to catch newbies as they join us

XX Jeannine

PS support from non weight losers much appreciated
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:41:03 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
Re: Lose weight with us here!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:11:03 »
Hi Jeannine after aalmost a solid year on steroids last year i began the year really over weight, i have managed to lose a stone so far, but at the moment i am maintaining cos im slipping, i want to lose another 12lbs which will take me back to 9 and 1/2 stone, i know i can do it and will gladly join this thread. i use the slimming world healthy eating plan because it works so well for me glad to share highs and lows with all  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:41 »
I'm signing up to be a cheerer-on 8)

I'd deffo agree that there's no need at all to post actual weights..praps just yr target weight loss in lbs (for the oldies ;)) & how you've progressed during the week?

Think it's a great idea Jeannine 8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:44:35 »
Oh Thanks Lish, I feel supported already.

Debster, your expertise will be wonderful.

I have taken my weight off, in case others feel they have to, I have no problem putting it back on if that is what most folks want.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:49:28 »
Sounds good to me, I went from almost 15 stonne last year to 13.2, but it is coming back on now.  I lost t by going on my boys tramploine every day for 20minutes a time and more if I had the energy.  The weight just fell off, and I didden't change my eating habits at all

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:53:02 »
I'm in.  12.5 stone trying to lose 2 stone. seem to see saw between twelve and the half.  good tip about the trampoline. wish ihad one.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 13:06:19 »
Quick tip for all trying to lose weight: (especially those that struggle to lose it)

Be accountable for everything you put in and out of your body, and you can't go wrong.

Learn the calorific content of what you are eating, learn how many calories you expend day to day, do the sums, and you can't go wrong.

It is really hard to learn the calorific values of everything you eat at first, but after about 6-8 weeks of doing it, it almost becomes second nature. Plus, you tend to eat the same things month in month out, so it becomes practice, rather than learning.

You don't want to lose weight per e. You want to lose body fat - it's the only kind you want to lose. Losing muscle mass reduces your matabolism, by reducing the amount of calories you need to sustain your daily calorie needs, also described as your basal metabolic rate (BMR).

There are 3500 calories in a 1lb of fat. So to lose 1lb week you need to make a negative  calorific balance of BMR + Exercise - Calorie Intake = -3500, or -500/day. The science is simple, it really is. Reducing by 1000 calories per day or more, is not recommended for long periods of time. Weightwatchers works on the same principle, but substitutes points for calories. You can eat what you want, but you must account for it, and if you have too many points, you don't lose weight, or you gain.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 13:09:42 »
Ok I am 16stone 2 pounds

Trouble is . I KNOW all the specs etc , I could write a book on that part LOL it is the eating I have to change

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 13:11:49 by Jeannine »

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 13:15:59 »
Ok I am 16stone 2 pounds

Trouble is . I KNOW all the specs etc , I could write a book on that part LOL it is the eating I have to change

XX Jeannine

Keep a diary so you can account for what you are eating. Best way I've found of doing it, is using an application called 'FitDay'.

You'll change your habits quite quickly by becoming accountable. You have to have nice things though otherwise you go mad. But, keeping track will allow you to balance the books for weight loss so to speak. And just think, once you hit the target weight, you can eat more nice things - but still keep it in balance for weight maintenance.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 13:42:49 »
I gave up smoking and went up to nearly 15 stone I failed on the smoking front and didn't really lose the weight.

I am now down to 13 and half since Christmas, The only thing I've done is worked in the garden more and stopped buying the biscuits and chocolate (if it's not in the house you can't eat it) supposedly your tongue resurfaces every seven days so if you can re-frame for that time you lose the craving (wish it was the same for smoking)

Oh I also heard and have tried brazil and walnuts along with pumpkin seeds a hand full of each a day. I would have though they would have been a weight gainer but it's worked so far

Good luck Jeannine and when you get peckish try a couple of the nuts or drink water or half of a  banana and save the other half for later

Aim for a slow loss of weight as it is more likly to stay off

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 14:04:50 »
I gave up smoking 2 years ago, and have put on approx. 3 stone!

Since Christmas, I've been watching what I eat, and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 10lbs by following the BHF diet for life - which you can order from their website.

The thing is, I'm eating more than normal, but lots and lots of fruit and veg - 8 portions a day!!

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 14:08:25 »
As the First Official Cheerer-On 8), I'd like to say for anyone who looks in here.....

go with the flow

please, please be happy as you are.....this might not be a Size 12-14, whatever, but if you're fit, healthy and HAPPY doing what you do, then this is your Fighting Weight??

Anyone else love the Alexander McCall Smith's (or whatever) books/radio adaptations/ TV film & recognise Precious' statement that she was of 'traditional' build?.....well, imho, you find the weight/size that suits you NOW and, if you can do everything you want to do, you're OK....finding the clothes, tho, to accentuate your own special positive, might take another thread, however...... :-\

So throw those scales away....and let the judge be of HOW YOU FEEL

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 14:24:44 »
Great thread! Thanks for starting this Jeannie!  :D I'm in, cos I'm having to buy size 18 clothes and I don't like it one bit!  ;) I dare not venture onto the scales! count me in.............. I'm starting tomorrow  ;) (famous last words!)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 14:42:44 »
I could do with losing a bit, but not in public.  I wish you all well and try my special red wine diet, I've just lost a whole weekend.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 14:52:05 »
reading this while eating cake made with over a stick of butter and have decided once i can cook my own meals when i am away to try and loose weight (so hard to control what you eat when your in a hotel and you have to either eat out or order food in.

So great idea to start this thread Jeannine. Might even get the hubbie to lose some weight.

I have done this before with slimming world and lost 3 stone and gradualy over time its all creaped back on.

We need to think about this NOT as denying ourselves pleasures but changing our lifestyle and what when we eat. Most probably most of us on here are eating quite healthly because of all the home made veg, what were perhapse not managing is portion control and eating at the right time and more cream and butter starts to creap into recipies.

When i lost the weight before i actualy ate more then i do now but i ate differently.

Cam

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 15:00:28 »
Go with the flow Lish and be what you feel, well considering I was a size 6 most of my life and kept if off after 6 kids, I only went to a 10 up when I got to be 39 and now I am a 24 with a bad back and breathlessness I figure I am not in the right place, I will never be a 10 again but my back is too fragile to carry this lot so I have to get it off, having said that, unless it was for my health I would not worry. I don't believe you have to be thin  to look good in fact some folks looks smashing and don't look like Barbie Dolls.

Starting tomorrow Biscombe, well OK I will step on the scales in the morning and have go with you..

What's for dinner!!

Would you belive have I have a Crown  Roast of Lamb stuffed with rosemary and sage  stuffing.

Well it was already out of the freezer  I had   stitched it and made the stuffing.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're only a day away..........

XX Jeannine

Biggles the digger

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 15:08:13 »
This is brilliant, thanks.
I'm a newbie, first post, and this seems a great site to learn what to with my huge weed patch and lose weight at the same time.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 15:31:30 »
I really need to loose weight, but I have to admit that my will power is at an all time low.

I am going to watch this thread and see if it can get me started. Hopefully seeing everyone else doing it will give me a boost.

Good luck everyone. I am so proud of you all making this commitment ;D

cj :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 15:32:09 »
Well welcome Biggles the digger, the name is good, ex RAF or did you just like the books.

You should go and say hello on a seperate post too and get a proper welcome

Look forward to hearing more from you

XX Jeannine

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 15:42:34 »
Hi Biggles...
 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal