Author Topic: Disposable picnic cups as plantpots  (Read 1738 times)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Disposable picnic cups as plantpots
« on: March 28, 2008, 17:33:08 »
Does anybody know if I can use transparent picnic drinking cups to transplant my seedlings from cellpacks, before putting them in their final pots, if I make holes in the bottom? The seedlings are mostly tomato and chilli but there are (will be) others. The cups are transparent, not translucent. Apologies if this has been raised before.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Disposable picnic cups as plantpots
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 17:46:45 »
I don't see why not.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 17:49:13 »
I managed to get lots of these a couple of years ago from our local bank (they have a water dispenser, so I recycled the used cups), and sowed  sweetcorn and peas in them, because they were the long ones.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 17:49:49 »
I save yoghurt pots, same size as cells, and just make holes in the bottom with no problem :) so should be ok to use picnic cups :D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 18:24:12 »
nice thing about clear plastic cups is that for things like beans, you can see they've germinated by seeing the roots form, before the leaves have popped through the soil

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 18:25:05 »
Does anybody know if I can use transparent picnic drinking cups to transplant my seedlings from cellpacks, before putting them in their final pots, if I make holes in the bottom? The seedlings are mostly tomato and chilli but there are (will be) others. The cups are transparent, not translucent. Apologies if this has been raised before.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,
I get lots of these transparent cups from work and use them for my runner beans,sweetcorn and Broad beans.You can see the root ball quite clearly and I never have any problems with them.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 18:30:41 »
I agree! I put my tomatoes in sawn off milk bottles (4 pint) I lined them with bits of cut up compost bag to protect the roots from direct light. On others I did I forgot to line them so I just put a piece of cardboard in front of the milk bottles to give the roots a darker environment. So I can still take a peek ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 18:49:05 »
I use the plastic cups from the vending machine at work. When you're pricking out 200 leeks and 80 sweetcorn, and 80 brassicas of various sorts, you need some sort of edge.
I use 4 litre milk cartons to grow carrots and parsnips, and 2 litre ones to grow lettuce. We also use the blue mushroom trays to grow mustard and cress, on kitchen roll.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 00:37:04 »
Thank you very much all  ;D It was the root ball 'seeing' the light that concerned me.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:08 »
We use the white disposable ones from poundland. 100 in a packet :)
debbie

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 15:31:37 »
Thanks for that debjay. It was actually Poundland where I saw the ones I posted about. I'll have another look next time I'm in there.  ;D

Geoff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal