Author Topic: Laying weed supressent  (Read 1523 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
Laying weed supressent
« on: July 21, 2004, 22:17:25 »
Because I work for civils suppliers I can get DPM cheap and I can get enough to cover my plot with out breaking the bank. What I was wondering was wether this is a good idea as a weed suppressent . My intial plan is to clear the plot, turn it over and lay DPM down. When I come to plant crops I would lift the DPM and then lay soaker hoses down, replace the DPM and plant following the line of the soaker hoses through the DPM. Is there any problems with my idea, if so I would love to hear them.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Laying weed supressent
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 07:53:45 »
I did the covering with visqueen thingy - not the soaker hoses though, or the turning over of the whole plot.  When I first got my plot I hoed all the horrible mares tail, couch, thistles etc. to the ground, covered over and left over winter.  Come spring, I uncovered the ground bed by bed to work and plant.  It certainly did not get rid of the weeds, as the minute you take off the plastic up some of them grow, but did give me time to manage the plot bit by bit with the wilderness encroaching.  I know some people have problems with slugs under the plastic.  This wasn't a problem for me, perhaps because I took it up to dig and sow?  It's not very pretty either!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal