Author Topic: absolute novice to growing veg  (Read 2399 times)

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
absolute novice to growing veg
« on: July 17, 2004, 11:10:50 »
although i have been gardening for a few years i now want to turn my hand to the veggies and cant think of a better place for info than getting it from you guys :) i was going to use one side of a polytunnel for this using raised beds . the tunnel will be unheated and used over the winter months, thats if i can sow anything at that time of year.
im a complete novice to this so i would like info guiding me right from what type of soil or growing mediun to use to what to sow etc. thanks.
                    john .

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:absolute novice to growing veg
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 11:48:23 »
Just to get breathing space - why raised beds, when will it all be ready to sow, what area will you have, where are you, how many to feed, do you have mains water, electricity, how far from the house -??.??.?? = Tim

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 13:23:34 »
Well, you have winter and spring lettuces that you can bung in as well as other salad veg. You could try carrots - on the back of a packet of Early Nantes seeds, these ones can be sown in October under cover for an early spring crop. You could also try broad beans and peas, but they will need bees in late spring to set pods.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 19:56:09 »
I think the most important thing to consider is what do you and your family like to eat. No point growing things no-one is interested in eating! I looked at my weekly shop and considered what shop bought veg I could replace with home grown and that's what I decided to grow.

After you have decided what you like then read or ask about what type of soil conditions those plants like. Some veg plants like sandy soils that are not too rich in compost, e.g. carrots, and other veg plants like lots and lots of rich compost, e.g. squash and pumpkins. I can recommend The Vegetable Expert by Dr D G Hessayon, it gives good information about what, where, how to grow a variety of veg and is a good starting point for the new veg grower.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 18:51:07 »
Yes - indeed - but in this neck of the woods, things get what they get. And grow. And where does one get soil enough for ?? how many beds??

We need more answers from you, tig. = Tim

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 21:44:23 »
 ok peeps , ill try to elaborate a little better.....
 ill use raised beds because the ground under the tunnel is granite ill use 2 planks (deep) i have mains water and electric though i do not want to heat it
 over winter cause i aint paying the bill.i live in n. ireland (gets quite cold ) the tunnel is 30 ft long ,
and is right beside house , my small family and i would be the only ones having any use of it, and we probably only eat the usual things like lettuce carrots ,spuds , beets ,turnips , cabbage ,peas , onions , cauliflower etc however now that i am thinking would it be better to fence off a corner in the field for this instead of using the tunnel cause we have plenty of space ????
          (think i will get dr g hessys book ;D)
          (      think im gonna need it ;D       )

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 22:08:01 »
Tig if you're not limited on space in your field then I'd do both, provided you have the time and energy of course! Use the tunnel for things like tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, melons. Use a patch in your field for the other things that grow happily outdoors like carrots, lettuce, onions, potatos etc. Good luck, it's very satisfying growing your own veg for the family.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 06:39:44 »
That's better!

I think you've seen the light! And either the raised beds or grow bags for the tunnel?
Apart from all the fruity stuff, including strawberries, the tunnel can be useful , as said, for out-of-season lettuce (especially cut & come again stuff), carrots etc. And, rather than heating the whole thing, you could buy a heated panel & raise your early plants that way. A 6'x3' panel uses about 300Watts.

Do use some planks, though, for a cold frame for hardening off.

Anywhere near LImavady? = Tim

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 13:34:49 »
 thanks all will ask again when i get things movin  ;)
 (newry tim)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 15:21:49 »
Oh, yes, now I remember! = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal