Author Topic: Raspberry Coulis  (Read 2557 times)

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
Raspberry Coulis
« on: July 19, 2004, 16:48:45 »
Rasps have been in full flood recently, so we decided to use a few up by making a few pavlovas for a bbq this weekend just gone.

Now, they're fine and lovely things in their own right, but this time I decided to finish it off with a raspberry coulis, and this took it to another level.  Not having made a coulis before I was amazed at how easy and quick it was....

1) make a stock syrup - this is a base ingredient for dessert sauces just as veg/chicken/beef stock is for other sauces.

250g granulated sugar + 250ml cold water in heavy bottomed pan.  Bring to boil, add three or four strips of unwaxed lemon rinds.

Boil for 5 mins max, then remove from heat and allow to cool.

2) 500g ripe raspberries in blender, wizz until liquid.

3) add a good slug of a liqueour (sp??) - I used a Creme de Framboise, seemed appropriate.

4) add 8 tablespoons of the stock syrup

5) blend again

6) now pass the entire lot through a fine sieve using back of a ladle or spoon

That's it!  10 mins max.  Use a squirty plastic bottle to drizzle artisticly over the pavlova, or alternatively looks really neat and professional if you serve it on a "flooded" plate - poor the coulis round the dessert and then tap the side of the plate until it has just reached the rim all around.

Now, where did I put those blackcurrants....

(many thanks to the likes of Delia, Gordon Ramsey and Michel Roux for what turned out to be a combination of recipies and techniques)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Raspberry Coulis
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 21:40:55 »
Richard, Your sauce sounds lovely, and i will give it a try.

I usually make a raspberry sauce, by mixing rasps. with icing sugar to taste. Pressing mix through a seive to get a seedless sauce.
I make the sauce to go with Hazlenut meringue cake.It is a nice alternative to Pavlova,any surplus sauce goes really well with ice cream, fresh peaches bananas etc;
Anne

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal