Author Topic: grapes  (Read 2150 times)

cam

• Not So New ...
grapes
« on: July 19, 2004, 12:24:41 »
Want to try out a couple of grape plants next year,any idea where i can get some decent info?I'm in the Netherlands,but am looking for something in English if possible.Cheers,Cam.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:grapes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 12:59:10 »
Try http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/ -there's an article about grapes in the 'Ask Ken' section off the home page.

The hdra has http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/gh_vines.htm

but you may need to be a member to see it.

Jeremy

cam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 13:10:48 »
Thanks Jeremy,that was just what i was looking for (Yes the HDRA link worked). Given me a few ideas to begin with .  :)

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 22:29:58 »
At Ryton Gardens the HDRA grow Black Hamburg in an unheated greenhouse, I'm going to give it a go sometime.  I suspect that with a name like Black Hamburg it isn't English!

Peter H

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 20:38:36 »
I've grown the Black Hamburg for the last 3 years in an unheated greenhouse and i must admit i've had no trouble at all with it. Will post a pic of it when i'm next down the allotment and you can see for yourself.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 09:30:17 »
Tell us more Peter, is it planted in a bed or a container, do you grow it along the apex of the roof? There are times when being 6' is a disadvantage ::)

Jeremy

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 18:10:52 »
Black Hamburgh is totally reliable in an unheated greenhouse. Mine is planted at one end and trained along the the roof. One word of caution though-it`s vigorous-be quite ruthless with the pruning to keep it under control.

The fruit go black well before they are properly ripe-when you start to see the wasps at work the grapes are ready.

It is a heavy cropper so try pulping some bunches and pressing for fresh grape juice-it freezes well-not a good choice for wine though.

Stephan

Peter H

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 19:08:15 »

Well here's the pic, as you can see the vine is trained along the roof, it's not in any container but free growing. The roots are supposed to be outside but mine are inside.The green house isn't heated at any time of the year, in fact half the roof is missing.
I thin out the bunches when they are this size and what a pain it is but the results are fanastic and worth the effort.
As cleo says it's a vigorous grower and i prune it every 2 days to keep it in check.

Peter

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 18:58:05 »
Peter-and everyone,that thing about planting a vine outside and training it in is not a good idea. Well so Harry Dodson once told me,not name dropping,just an old gardener I respect and had the pleasure of meeting.

Stephan

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 23:52:13 »
Please can you tell me where you that the plant or did your's grow from seed?

Peter H

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 15:43:11 »
Hi yuetlee, i bought it from a local garden centre, it was a year old and only cost £5.

Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal