Author Topic: Calling all tortoiseshell cat owners!  (Read 3335 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Calling all tortoiseshell cat owners!
« on: March 25, 2008, 22:16:51 »
Hi,

We rehomed a wonderful little cat called Chloe last week. She's two, purrs a lot and is generally just a bundle of fun. We've never had a tortoiseshell cat before, and couldn't get over the markings on the back of her head. Half is black, the other half is ginger. She also has different coloured eyes. Look at the links for pictures:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_QLwkSE97Rv4/R-l3EUXjTHI/AAAAAAAAAAM/Mh4pLJPWnvc/s1600-h/IMG_1893%2B.bmp

and

http://bp3.blogger.com/_QLwkSE97Rv4/R-l3vUXjTII/AAAAAAAAAAU/4CI566JZXR0/s1600-h/IMG_1921%2B.bmp

We thought her markings were so unusual, but then tonight on The One Show (BBC1), there was a cat featured on the programme that was having issues settling into her new home, and she had the exact markings on her head too! Even to the point of black and ginger on the same sides of the head as Chloe.
  Does anyone know, is this a common marking in tortoiseshell cats? I'd really like to see if there are any others out there!

:) :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: Calling all tortoiseshell cat owners!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 22:22:45 »
I have !! and these markings are quite common.

What a  stunner you have!

Pics of my Taunton coming..............

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 22:29:31 by Biscombe »

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 22:34:15 »
Here's Taunton, she's really quirky but we love her, not a great pic, looking for others...............

Can you see the two matching sides? even on her nose!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 22:36:22 »
Two more pics

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 22:48:07 »
I love her odd coloured eyes!  :D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 22:55:03 »
Biscombe, your cat Taunton is gorgeous, and I can see her head markings! Thanks for posting the pics. How old is she? She looks very accustomed to outside life; Chloe is not allowed out for a minimum of three weeks, although she was used to going out in her previous home. I am not looking forward to her going out for the first time, I just hope that these three weeks will be enough for her to think of here as her home, so that she comes back.

Thanks SnooziSuzi, we agree, her eyes are amazing! If you cover one side of her face with one hand, she looks like a black and white cat with a blue eye, and the other side she looks like a ginger cat with a green/amber eye, it's like looking at two different cats when we do that!

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 23:10:03 »

Thanks Clay! Don't worry about letting her out, 3 weeks is plenty enough time to let her know where her bread is buttered!  ;)

You must be over the moon with her, she is soooooo beautiful!

Taunton is 8 now, she was born in our wardrobe when we were townies 3 years ago, since then she's been a farm cat but doesn't like roughing it! She's a great gardening companion though!

I'm looking forward to more posts about your stunning Chloe!
Have fun  :D

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:36 »
Biscombe and Common Clay - your cats are both gorgeous, I've never had tortoiseshell cats, and never noticed these markings on others - but they are gorgeous

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:20:56 »
Thanks Prink, I think Biscombe's Taunton is beautiful too; that picture of her on the chair is adorable, I just want to go and stroke her!
  I got my first official cuddle from Chloe this morning, it's a week tonight that we got her. It must be such a change for her, we didn't rescue her as such, she was already in a very loving home since a kitten but the owner is making an unavoidable move abroad and cannot take her with her, but didn't want to part with her at all, and we can see why. So, it's a lot of adjustment for her, but she is settling well. This morning she came and sprawled over me in bed, with her paws up on my chest, purring and purring away. That's a really big step forward, I've been trying to encourage her to have a love all week! She's gorgeous.  :) :)

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:58 »
Chuffed to bits for you Clay! Cats are so wonderful!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:13:17 »
All very beautiful cats :)

lillylottie

• Quarter Acre
  • leo
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 23:00:26 »
i have six cats and three are tortoiseshell.lilly,lottie,penny and the others are two gingers pinky and perky and tabby called petal. iwill try a put some phots on this page ???

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:45:04 »

All the cats are lovely I have a very aristocratic Birman cat called Gracie, she is seventeen years old  she doesnt have owners only staff
Gracie loves my husband. but is jealous of me and tries to shoo me away from my husband .
When I can learn to Post pics I will put one on .
        Bridge house.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal