Author Topic: tomato virus  (Read 2128 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
tomato virus
« on: July 19, 2004, 09:30:02 »
two of my tomatoes have what looks like mosaic virus. I pulled up the infected plants (fortunately both Romas, which I have plenty of) and threw them away.

Another plant has the same crinkly leaves, but doesn't look nearly as bad. Is there anyway I can save it? Or should I get rid of that one too?

Is there anything I can do to protect the other ones and stop it spreading?

Should I feed them?
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:tomato virus
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 10:29:20 »
What suggests mosaic? Do the young leaves curl downwards?

Might it not be a magnesiumm deficiency or somesuch?

If it is the nasty, don't know a prophylactic, other than hygiene & burn or bin the plants. = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 11:01:48 »
The leaves have gone curly and bumpy all over. Kind of crinkly really, not sure how to explain. It's not the whole leaf curling down, the entire leave is puckered. And they have patches of yellow. I've had magnesium deficiancy before and this is worse than that. I've never seen the leaves change shape like this.

I've been watching the two plants get progressively worse over the past few weeks. And I looked it up in my book.
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 11:09:08 »
And no bugs??

Don't know. John may come in when he wakes up? = Tim

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 11:11:49 »
sorry i don't know if this is right but i had to get rid of a plant at the weekend as it had very yellow mottled leaves with brown at the edges and it had sort of started from the bottom and gone upwards!
I think yours may have a virus like mine, i am very sad because it was from a company called chillifire and they specalise in chillies and toms, i was soooo looking forward to growing them. i think it was a sugar sweet or the yellow plum  :'(
do you think we have to burn the plants?

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 11:59:35 »
GardenerJ, are you sure it was not just the normal thing that tomato plants do, where the lower leaves turn yellow and die, and this gradually progresses up the plant as the season progresses?

This is because (I think) that it is only leaves within about 4 foot of the growing tip that are doing things, and when the plant gets tall enough the lower leaves' work is done and they die.

Not the most scientific explanation - sorry! But normal - my tomato plants usually look quite bare at the bottom by the time August rolls around.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 16:51:52 »
thanks ten but....
i have been growing toms for a while now and i am used to seeing the bottom leaves go yellow but the whole plant is mottled yellow, the plants are babies by the way they just have their first truss of flowers on so thats why i was worried. i have now chucked them outta their pots and they are at the bottom of the garden dying  :'( they were about 10inches high, i have other toms that are in full swing now lots of green toms there and the leaves are fine!
Do you reckon i should burn the plants???

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 18:17:15 »
crinkly leaves but not the obvious signs of disease-tell me :'(. The Caspian Pink has done the same,and another couple of plants have no fruit set. I just assumed I was losing it this year.

Stephan

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 13:24:54 »
I would burn them or bin them if you are not sure!

I wonder if the crinkly leaves is to do with cold nights? We had a really cold night here a month ago or so, and one of my plants went completely curly, but no obvious sign of anything wrong, those leaves have remained curly but the ones growing since have straightened out again!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 16:22:32 »
My tom plants at the allotment on plot number 2 look a bit poorly.  There is potato blight on the site, along with just about every other disease and pest going so I am fearing the worse.  I will try to remember to take my camera at the weekend and take some snaps so you can tell me what is wrong  :'(.  They are curley and some of the leaves look scorched.  The toms on plot number one are currently doing fine....I wonder if position can have anything to do with it?

GardnerJ

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 16:53:22 »
 :-[
Thats the word i was looking for "SCORCHED!" thats how mine look  :'( I have dumped them now, but am ever vigilant about my potatyoes now as they are growing opposite the toms (All in containers you see)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal