Author Topic: Information on Lobbying for an allotment for TV thing.  (Read 3106 times)

andham2000

• Not So New ...
  • I dig allotments
    • selfsufficientish.com
Information on Lobbying for an allotment for TV thing.
« on: March 25, 2008, 22:02:28 »
It's been a fair while since I last posted on here, perhaps about 3 years! So my apologies that I am straight back with a favour to ask.

I have heard talk of a law that if 6 people get together and lobby then the council have to make provisions to give them an allotment plot. Is this true or a distortion of the 1925 allotment act that has now been revoked?  Or is this what Tony Baldry is trying to reintroduce? 

Does anyone know of anyone that has successfully lobbied a council and had new plots provided? I have heard about the one in Totnes where everyone came dressed as vegetables and turned up to every council meeting asking for allotments until they were duly given one. It still has 50 odd people on the waiting list though.

The reason I ask about this is because I have to talk to BBC Breakfast about the decline and demand for allotments.  I want to come fully armed with as many facts as I can and to try and get as many people as possible to exercise their rights.
--------------------------------------------------
Selfsufficientish
Selfsufficientish the book

betula

• Hectare
Re: Information on Lobbying for an allotment for TV thing.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 00:07:29 »
I do not know of any people that have done this but I think the six people thing is still the law.
I think the National Allotment Association are the people to contact.They probally are up to date on this kind of thing.
Good luck with your T.v Interview. :)

andham2000

• Not So New ...
  • I dig allotments
    • selfsufficientish.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 18:32:01 »
I do not know of any people that have done this but I think the six people thing is still the law.
I think the National Allotment Association are the people to contact.They probally are up to date on this kind of thing.
Good luck with your T.v Interview. :)

Yes, good idea of course! thanks betula.
--------------------------------------------------
Selfsufficientish
Selfsufficientish the book

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 23:33:57 »
When is the interview? On which channel and at what time.?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

hoonteo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 23:01:29 »
The Swinton Allotment and Gardeners Association in Salford, Greater Manchester have done an absolutely fantastic job on reclaiming abandoned alllotments and on lobbying for more sites. One site that's been rescued is going to be turned into an eco/permaculture farm, pending funds from the Lottery etc. Contact them to see how they've done it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal