Author Topic: Sorry for a moan  (Read 4538 times)

vicstar

• Not So New ...
Sorry for a moan
« on: March 24, 2008, 17:24:11 »
I am not a happy easter bunny, It has been a beauitful day dont get me wrong, it was fluttering with snow this afternoon but soon after getting to plot(we have been clearing for 2 weeks now).I stood on a 6 inch nail, and had to hobble home and am kinda worried about tetnus, but the main this i am fuming about is, what state should the council have left the plot in i have pics to prove its a mess but dont know haw to add them.?? i am stupid today,  But surely the council should leave it in the a better state than they did.  Asbestos, Corrigated steel, double glased windows, an elder tree with ten years growth and ten years worth of every other plot holder chucking rubbish on it,  I knew it was going to be have work and an upward struggle but not a vertical climb.  Should i shut up or is it just my foot just killing me making me pregnant dog and moan.  Am i expecting to much.

vicstar

• Not So New ...
Re: Sorry for a moan
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 17:27:15 »
sorry forgot to say pics are on profile. 

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 17:31:53 »
i dont have a lottie so its hard for me to comment but what i dont get is how if a plot is empty there is no standard that the council have to maintain but if it is rented and they think not enough work is being done they will write to you
if you have had all your tetanus jabs as a child and growing up then you will be covered for life if in doubt get one done after all you will be gardening for many happy years

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 17:33:17 »
Sorry to say Vicstar you wont have a foot to stand on if you saw the plot first when the council offered it to you and then you accepted it.  They would say you saw the state it was in and didn't ask us to clear it first when you accepted it, so think it will be down to you.

Hope your foot feels better soon, hope you bathed it well and have put antiseptic cream on it.  If in any doubt take yourself off to A&E.

Sinbad

vicstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 17:37:09 »
i didnt see the plot before execpting just got a letter saying i was given i wasnt asked to go see it before signing i guess its my own fault

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 17:38:10 »
Sorry about your poor foot :( I to have walked away with a plank of wood stuck to my foot,mercifully my soles were thick.Tetnus jabs are a must for Gardner's.
I agree plots are a mess and more should be done to make ex plot holders clear up their mess.
I have recently plucked up the courage to ask my ex neighbour plotholder who had moved to another plot to come and remove broken glass panes she had left behind.She was very off about it but she did move them,but no longer a friend I fear.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 17:46:29 »
I think you'll find different council's have different policies on this.  I know our council would clear it for you if you asked but if they weren't asked and they could get away with it they would.

Sinbad

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 17:52:47 »
When I moved into my  house, the garden was a jungle front and back.

I had nails, glass, rubbish, old wood, bricks all buried into garden.  Was very dangerous for my kids.

I contacted my council and was told it should of got cleared up before i moved in but it never did.  I was told folk would be sent to do it, that never happened either.

I ended up doing it myself with friends, best way, you know its done properly too :D

Sorry to hear about your foot x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 18:03:22 »
stick your foot in a bowl of warm, salty water..it'll soothe it and clean it as well..if your council is like ours, they say they'll do all sorts and do nowt..
hope you've not done too much damage   :)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 23:10:51 »
Hi - Sorry to hear about your foot - I did the same thing when I was in my teens and still have a big dent in the bottom of my foot to show for it! (sorry if that doesn't cheer you up!) - is your site council run or do you have your own committee? - ours is run by our own committee and basically the council don't have (or want probably) any involvment really.

Have a look at the before pics in my profile gallery - that may help ease your mind! - mine was 6ft high in weeds/brambles and had also been used as a dumping ground for around 6 years before I got it.

I'm sure come July, you'll be sitting with a cuppa and veg all around you and will see your plot in a different light! ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 23:25:51 »
sorry to hear about your injury but it's par for the course at our site - there's loads of glass and other cr*p in the ground that I'm surprised the council is allowed to let out the site! 
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 17:04:57 »
Just a little point.. but tetanus jabs do not last for ever.

Boosters are needed.

There was a post before on the site about this, and we should all make sure we are sorted out, particularly with manure being used...

Dettol!

What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

sims girl

• Quarter Acre
  • my daughters pet
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 17:13:48 »

sorry for your poor foot   :(

vicstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 17:32:39 »
Thank you all and the foot is ok just painful went through the ball of the foot so everytime i move it is agony, have written to council and a polite but stern letter pain took hold of me in parts. :'( Waiting for reply but will not be discouraged.Am going to lottie tomorrow limp and all.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 17:40:13 »
So sorry to hear about this and please watch it very carefully, I stood on a garden rake several years ago and I know just how painful it can be, I can truly say it was unbelievably painful

The hole in my foot didn't seem to heal properly long after I was walking  again  it was still leaking  and despite antibiotics it just wouldn't close over.

Long story, cut short,  ??something in there?? nothing on Xray, still not healing, finally they opened up my foot and removed a piece of my fuzzy slipper that I was wearing that day.

So please keep a close eye on it!!

Hugs and Love

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 17:41:10 »
I put a nail into my heel once, through the footwear... and had to hobble three miles to the Drs! I still remember it!! it was 1976!
Hope your foot is better soon!
 ::)

hoonteo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 22:55:21 »
My new allotment site was a complete mess but is now Association run. When I first saw it I had one of those oh my god what have i let myself in for moments, I mean there was a bath and an old sofa on it, but we have a fantastic association and a very dynamic secretary and you should see the difference now. We have site clearance Saturdays where everybody gangs together to clear all the shite into skips. It's really starting to come together. Can you get your allotment holders to do the same? I gaurantee that you'll soon see the difference and it builds friendships too. Sorry about your foot, hope it's getting better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal