Author Topic: Glass greenhouse  (Read 2617 times)

hoonteo

• Not So New ...
Glass greenhouse
« on: March 17, 2008, 21:06:48 »
I would really, really like a glass greenhouse. Anyone know how I can get one?

DenBee

• Acre
Re: Glass greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 21:11:38 »
You could try advertising on Freecycle?  If you get one that way, then I would think you'd probably have to be prepared to dismantle it on site and then take it away.

I bought one from Focus last year, a 6' x 4' one for £99.  I think the same one this year is about £100 more than that.

Having said that, it's currently in bits because of the horrendous winds we had here last month.
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:57:48 »
Hi Tom.  I haven't really had anything to compare it with, never having bought a (non-plastic) greenhouse before, but to my untutored eye it's a perfectly good greenhouse.  It wasn't the greenhouse's fault we didn't anchor it properly and it got blown about in the wind, so that some of the panes broke.  Although of course the fact that it was a 6'x4' house probably contributed - not as heavy as a larger one.

In summary - we like it just fine.   :)

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:11 »
We've just finished constructing one which looks pretty much the same as the picture. It cost us £265 but that includes a roof opening window and the metal base, to add extra height we also built a wooden base using 4x4 fence posts.

One piece of advice I would give is to think about what you might want to suspend from the roof spars BEFORE you put the glass in. Only the central spar on each side has a groove into which you can retro-fit the the special bolts, the 4 end spars and the internal apex are flat metal and would need to be drilled in advance.

I'm contemplating having to take the glass out again, but haven't yet worked out where I might need any holes drilling  :-\ :-\

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:09:29 »
Hi,

You need to decide how much room you have and how much you have to spend.
I just bought an 8X6 from b+q in green finish with everything and extra ventilation for just less than £300 admittedly this was the clearance price and today the same would cost about another £100 on top.
If you have the space but not the cash get a second hand larger model rather than a nice new small one that you can't really grow what you want in.
You could probably pay around £100 for a spacious model but you would have to factor in such things as time, labour and maybe van hire.

Good Luck.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 13:44:47 »
Hi
you didn't say are you after a new one or would you settle for second hand.
I have done both...and well...rule1. which ever you go for, get largest size what you have room for or can afford as you are always running out of room...
For secondhand look for your local buy and sell papers..our local one has always some adverticed "free for to dismantle.
As for new...there is so many companies!!
www.twowests.co.uk is good one and not so expencive neither.
www.thegreenhousepeople.co.uk
www.greenhousebonanza.com
..something to start with...

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 19:59:12 »
try free cycle or your local admag they sometimes have them for free but you will need to dismantle
today i will be growin veg!!

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:18 »
you could try ebay thats where i got mine from but i emailed the seller and asked for a buy it now price and got it for £50 and it wasnt to far from us either or check out supermarket notice boards
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:39:32 »
I wonder if Summer Garden Buildings will agree with the old adage "There's no such thing as bad publicity"?  I doubt it.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal