Author Topic: New to your forum  (Read 1726 times)

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
New to your forum
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:14 »
Thought i'd say 'hi everyone :)'........ive just aquired an allotment!! wehey!!.......anyway, ive been busy sowing my tomatoes, courgettes, marigolds, sweet peas........the things that I would normally have in my garden at home......and basically my window ledges are now full :-[ and there are still quite a few new things that I want to start off for the allotment.............some trays have germinated so how long until I can transfer to the greenhouse...........would the frost damage them in there as it is not heated, or if a frost is forecast do I bring them back in or if I cover them with fleece will they be o.k............I also only got my greenhouse last may, so havent used experience of using it during cold weather..........dont want to lose all my little seedlings ???......any advice would be greatly appreciated..........

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
Re: New to your forum
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:53:22 »
Hello :)

....and basically my window ledges are now full
OOhhh I know that feeling. A wise sage is bound to be along soon to help with your questions, but in my limited experience I would (and am doing today, got a little bit carried away sowing and potting on! ;)) shift everything that has a couple of true leaves into the greenhouse. My greenhouse is unheated but hasn't frosted in the last few days so despite the wintry look of the garden , I'm hoping stuff will get tough and survive. Not sure about the courgettes though - having never grown them, just can't seem to acquire the taste :P
Like you say though don't want to lose your precious little seedlings, could you stcik a max min thermometer in your greenhouse tonight to find out how cold it gets?

Happy allotmenteering,
Dee

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:27:29 »
and basically my window ledges are now full :-[

yep that sounds familiar!  I've even taken over the kids bedroom windowsill and removed everything from my airing cupboard to make room for more trays!

Word of caution, I brought in some seed trays because I was worried about the frost/ice and everything went leggy and I had to start again.  I would think some fleece would be ok, or you could try a couple of tea light candles stood in a saucer of wet sand, obviously safety first however!  There's a thread round here somewhere about using candles to heat the greenhouses.

Anyways welcome to the site, they're a fab bunch on here and someone more knowledgeable will probably be along with far better advice than me! lol  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:28:46 »
I would think the marigolds and sweet peaswould probably be alright in the cold greenhouse, but the toms will want to be kept warm for a bit longer. I think you're a bit early sowing courgettes already- I've done that before and had to start again later.
Things like brassicas, onions and leeks can be sown in the cold greenhouse- a few sunny days will be enough to get them germinating.
If it's really cold, just throw some fleece or newspaper over everything.

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:41 »
Welcome to the madhouse :) :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 13:12:18 »
Hi welcome from me too. Caroline is right, it is too soon for courgettes, they will be huge before they can be put outside. Toms still need the warmth as do aubs, peppers, ocra, cukes, melons and green beans.
Bring them in and keep them warm

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 13:33:32 »
Welcome CDDo!! ;D

Patience is the one thing thing we all get told about, though its not easy when we had a mild Jan and Feb. It gets the 'growing' bug germinating in your head :-\

As for windowsills, I wont see mine again for a while ::)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 14:03:44 »
Welcome Cockadoodledoo...
Whereabouts are you? Any pics of the new allotment... before and afters are great for a sense of achievement!
 ;D

twiggy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 14:29:30 »
you  could always line your  greenhouse with bubble wrap  if you have the  time...you will  have  to watch the  condensation though........oh  dont  do it  the  day  after u  sulpher bombed  it like  i did ..that  makes  your  eyes  water .....a  heater  is well worth  it  if u  cant  stand the  thought of  compost  on your window sills  and if u  have     bubble wrap in there  it  can get  very warm !  its  perfect  !  more so if u  have  got  a  a  seat  in  there.  ive  got  two  joined  together and  its very  big  ....i  still  germinate  my seeds  inside  but  then  when they  go out  into  the  greenhouse  they grow  like  crazy....  do any  of you  cut  your  seeds  potatos  in half  before you plant t hem  after  you have  chitted  them....and  also  is  it  better to  grow  carrots  in  a  barrel,to  keep  the  carrot fly  away....one  of the  guys  at  my allotment  said  to put fleece around  the carrots  but  doesnt it  get  blown way?this  is  my first year  growing  on my  allotment  im trying to  get my head  around  everything  so i might  need  some  helpxx

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 14:36:44 »
Welcome aboard, a great site to be a member of.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 15:16:41 »
Welcome from me too.  If you check out this thread from yesterday you will see how I've cracked the lack of window sill space problem.  G x

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40184.msg400656.html#msg400656
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 15:37:06 »
 ;D ;D  Welcome cockadoodledoo, nice to have you on board. Its a lovely warm place to be!!

“Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast.”
 William Shakespeare quotes (English Dramatist, Playwright and Poet, 1564-1616)

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 16:02:23 »
Welcome to the gardening asylum.   :P :P :P    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cockadoodledoo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 16:14:58 »
oooo thanx for all the replys with advice and 'wellcomes' :)...........I have noted the things you say can start in an unheated greenhouse and have some bubble wrap and will begin that project tomorrow..........had enough today after a few hours weeding on the allotment (especially as it started snowing....must be mad ???)......I dont think the kids are going to be much help although they were pretty good at swordfighting with canes!!.....maybe theyll be better at making a scarecrow in their 2 weeks off :-\.................I did take a couple of photos so i'll do a before and after at some point................I'm loving the window ledge idea Georgie..will deffinitely be copying that one! ;D...............your probably right about the courgettes, may have to do some more later.  I couldnt quite remember when I did them last year, but dont mind too many as I make chutney with them too........... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal