Author Topic: Lidl tomatoes?  (Read 10980 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Lidl tomatoes?
« on: March 23, 2008, 23:04:56 »
Brought two packs 29p each

Tomato Harzfeuer F1
Tomato Hildares F1
anyone grown them before? as instuctions are in foreign!

cheers

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Lidl tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 23:09:06 »
Ive bought lots of seed from Lidl, they usually have directions in 4 different languages. Im surprised the toms dont have the same.

I havent grown their tomatoes, but I guess the method will be the same as for any other ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 23:14:47 »
Also brought some melon seed too, look real good value for money.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 23:17:35 »
I think I'll get some squash, I think I saw Jack be Little in there. Got some yellow beans last week, they should look good with purple podded beans and sweet peas ;D

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 23:27:34 »
yes i got the yellow beans, brittle wax and some gherkins and cucumber konsa and marrow di nizza, bit of a stab in the dark when you never grown some varietys though!!

star

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 23:37:06 »
I still have the gherkin seeds from last year, they were really good. Only I put in too many of my own chillis when I pickled them..........................BOOOM :o

Wasn't funny, I had to eat a WHOLE tub of Ben & Jerrys to stop my tongue sizzlin' 8) :-\

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 23:39:59 »
oh well thats great they grew well, did you grow them outdoors and what size did you harvest them?

star

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 23:47:34 »
Yes they were outside, they are quite hardy after the frosts have finished. I harvested when they were about 5"- 6". They were also nice in salads which I was surprised about ;)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 23:50:28 »
well ill look forward to growing those then!! greenhouse is totally bulging with stuff now! still a bit cold to start, getting fed up with waiting for warmer weather.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 20:23:38 »
I have packets of both Harzfeuer and Hildares in front of me - pictorial instructions are given at the top of the packets and information in four languages beneath the pictures. My packets are dated 2008, best before 12/2010.

I've grown Harzfeuer for several years - Good cropper. I am trying Hildares for the first time but having difficulty getting the seeds to germinate for some reason. Anybody else having problems with Hildares?

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:53:39 »
I got quite a few Lidl seeds, couldn't resist for that price.
SO far so good, I am growing Harzfeuer, it's a medium sizer, I sowed it 2 weeks ago and it is going great guns indoors.
Their yellow beans are very good, beautiful flavour, I highly recommend, and so far the Lidl leek seeds and lettuce are germinating correctly.
I did have some of theirs last year but the season was so bad here I wouldn't like to use it as a reference in regards to germination and yield, most of what I planted either failed or rotted, I will make up my mind after this season.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal