Author Topic: solar powered greenhouses  (Read 31717 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
solar powered greenhouses
« on: March 23, 2008, 21:58:02 »
I have been wondering about using solar energy in my greenhouses and apart lighting I haven't seen any set up sold for any equipment eg. heaters etc.
I know it is possible as there is conections for tv's etc sold for boats and caravans. Now, have we got anybody here who has done solar stuff for they greenhouses?...I would like to hear what you have and about your set up..prices, suppliers...etc. ..any info would be very wellcome.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
Re: solar powered greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 22:54:48 »
I went into this a couple of years ago, and due to the poor insulation qualities of a greenhouse, a huge amount of heat storage was going to be needed, and the thermostats and controls to regulate the temperature were going to make it a totally unviable venture. But for lighting, all that's needed are a small solar panel and a car battery. It depends what sort of lighting you are thinking of. Solar panels, even small ones, are still not cheap, so growing lights and floodlights are out of the question on a household budget. Sorry for pouring cold water etc. I hope somebody can come along and cheer you up.

Wind power (again to charge batteries) seems to be more efficient, and maybe marginally more reliable, and I'd be very surprised if somebody somewhere isn't just itching to sell you one. There's solar, water and wind stuff here:
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/small_wind_generators_turbines_manufacturers.htm

I hope that hasn't screwed the page formatting up. Sorry Dan if it has.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 23:10:42 »
maplin had some resonably priced ones.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 23:13:27 »
Hmm....wind power is not possible due to allotments location...I was really hoping if I could have small greenhouse heater or propagator powerer up with solar system...I know I could...but where ever I have looked for bits and pieces it cost a fortune...bl...dy expensive cuttings :o
Until prices come down..or somebody can inform me about cheaper goods I'll have to carry on with my "conveyor belt" of plant production line= propagators in spare bedroom, window sill, greenhouse coldframe with paraffine heaters, cold coldframe and out...so much hard work. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 23:14:30 »
maplin had some resonably priced ones.

OH...I'll have to look for that....

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 23:18:41 »
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=solar&source=15&SD=Y

Solar-Powered 12V 1.5W Battery Trickle Charger 15GBP

• Keep your battery topped up with solar power, even if the weather is overcast or dull
• Ideal for cars, caravans, boats etc
• Interchangeable connectors: cigarette lighter plug and crocodile clips
• Blue flashing LED charge indicator
• Durable ABS outer casing
• Built-in diode prevents reverse charging
• Suction cups for easy mounting

Designed to trickle charge 12V lead acid batteries with no additional running costs. Ideal for cars that will be left standing for long periods, as well as for maintaining batteries in caravans and boats. The built-in blocking diode prevents reverse charging from the battery to the solar panel at night.

Orfy

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 23:40:41 »
Be careful what you buy, there is a difference between something designed to "Top up" and a system designed to charge a battery on it's own.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:55:41 »
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=solar&source=15&SD=Y

Solar-Powered 12V 1.5W Battery Trickle Charger 15GBP

• Keep your battery topped up with solar power, even if the weather is overcast or dull
• Ideal for cars, caravans, boats etc
• Interchangeable connectors: cigarette lighter plug and crocodile clips
• Blue flashing LED charge indicator
• Durable ABS outer casing
• Built-in diode prevents reverse charging
• Suction cups for easy mounting

Designed to trickle charge 12V lead acid batteries with no additional running costs. Ideal for cars that will be left standing for long periods, as well as for maintaining batteries in caravans and boats. The built-in blocking diode prevents reverse charging from the battery to the solar panel at night.

I've got this setup in my shed, car battery, the above solar panel and 3 x 11w low energy bulbs.

One of these panels will not provide much more than 10 mins of light after dark, I had to use 2 panels to one battery for it to charge, and I often have to take 2 of the 3 bulbs out to extend that.

Oh, forgot to add that I also have a 300w invertor, also from Maplins, to convert the 12v from the battery to 230v for the lights....

When the battery is fully discharged, I take it home and give it a proper charge. It is then sufficient to run a 6" bench grinder for a short while for sharpening knives etc.

As for heating with it? Not a chance.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 17:20:24 »
Put "12 volt heating" into google im kinda looking for the same setup

Theres 12 volt blankets , car heaters , quite a few odds n sods kicking about i thought of the old bulb in metal trick for frost , A 12 volt headlamp bulb gets reasonably hot  should warm something like a metal bucket if set in the top, bulb inside and then put the whole lot upside down mind you a candle does about the same.

Last year i got hold of some old veg oil and made small oil lamps (Like the romans used) put a 5 gall tin tub over it with air holes etc worked a treat and was free.

The downside was maintenance time, filling, setting wicks etc.

Me being me have lots of ideas in my head using the veg oil as free heat,
mostly using it outside the greenhouse  as the soot side isnt nice,
And transfering the heat only inside.
Im stopping now before i ramble on all night.

mrf

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:02 »
there was an idea to create a heat store, using bricks underground. you take the hot air at the top of the greenhouse through a duct using a fan powered by a solar panel! into the ground cavity created and insulated with polystyrene

it was the ex army man with the big tash that had a series about going green, it was on last Summer on the BBC

wether it worked or not I never found out, but the heating of bricks, stones is probally the best way forward as it lets out it's stored heat fairly slowly. the same principle as night storage heaters

I always wondered if a home made liquid solar panel with the feed into the ground with bricks and covered with sand would work better.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:37 »
I think this is the system the man with the moustache used....

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 15:08:49 »
I line my allatment greenhouse with 4ft high, 2" thick polystyrene sheeting, bubble wrap roof, triple sized bale of straw as a heat sink/stoer, and it maintains frfost free when -5 at night!!usefull for a few seedlings, but only on shelving due to lower light levels from bubblewrap. the autovent still operates, even today.
You couldn't make it up!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 19:49:21 »
there was an idea to create a heat store, using bricks underground. you take the hot air at the top of the greenhouse through a duct using a fan powered by a solar panel! into the ground cavity created and insulated with polystyrene

it was the ex army man with the big tash that had a series about going green, it was on last Summer on the BBC

wether it worked or not I never found out,

The chap in question is Dick Strawbridge from It's not easy being green and Scrapheap Challenge. And yes it does work very well, I've seen it when I spent the day at his farm. In fact his whole farm is Solar/Wind powered including his water and sanitation supply.

That's him on the right next to my LR.

I use a 13 watt solar panel connected to a 12v Leisure battery running a 12 volt strip light and cooling fan in my greenhouse. So far it's kept up very well with demand and I've not flattened it yet.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 17:33:14 »
yep..heat pit sound good but I don't fancy putting "road drill" trough my concrete floor...or using it in a glassgreenhouse :o
There is plenty of solar lights and ventilators on market but having system for anything else that need a little bit more energy I find difficult.. when you are not techically minded or electrical engineer knowing what is required is hard work to find out. ???...all those Kw, amp, watt, ac/dc, w... :-\ school years were long ago...

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 17:46:52 »
plot 69 he looks like hes a laugh!! What are they pointing at on the landrover?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 18:01:23 »
plot 69 he looks like hes a laugh!! What are they pointing at on the landrover?

I'd just spent the day with them learning how to make Bio Diesel and that's the sign on the back of my Land Rover.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 18:54:47 »
Like it, I noticed there were an awful lot of people buying huge bottles of veg oil in Sainsburys last week........... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 19:15:29 »
yes out chippie used to pay for the oil to be taken away now they sell it to a local bio place who turns it into fuel.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 13:32:46 »
just had an email from Maplins, they have a discount on their solar panel at the moment. Not sure if they are the cheepest but it's a start.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=11932&MenuName=Solar+Panel+Kits&FromMenu=y&doy=6m4

Powderfan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 12:56:19 »
Hi Guys and Gals

I am also considering using solar power in my greenhouse but not for heating.  I am looking at using the solar panel to power a water pump in my water butt to provide an irrigation system for automatic watering during sunny periods.

The mother in law bought a solar water feature a few years ago but her dog broke it so the pump and panel are going begging.  If I connect the pump to my butt (sounds a bit painful) then fit a valve to restrict the flow I can water any number of pots trays and growbags whenever the sun shines, which would be when the greenhouse is hottest and the plants would need the most water.  The pump would obviously stop over night.

Any thoughts?

Michael

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal