Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 741 times)

jo9919

Grapes
« on: March 24, 2008, 20:52:47 »
I would love to have a grape vine in my greenhouse but I've got a couple of questions.

Firstly, my greenhouse is only small, 6 X 4, is this too small to house a grape vine along with my tomatoes? I do only have a couple of tomato plants in there.

Secondly, my greenhouse is unheated. Is this a problem?

Thirdly, my greenhouse is situated on the lawn, but it has membrane down and stones on top of the membrane, therefore, no soil. Everything that goes in the greenhouse is grown in pots. If I put the grape vine into a large pot would it thrive, or would I have to cut a hole in the membrane and let its roots go into soil?

Thanks,
Jo.

Gazfoz

• Acre
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 21:15:32 »
You could train a vine up the back wall and along the roof ridge with laterals coming off the main stem (Rod) for the grapes to be produced.
The temps in a small greenhouse can fluctuate wildly and the roots need cool well drained poor soil.
A big pot is ok for a while but after a few years the vines root system and my watering schedule can't support the huge plant and yields tend to suffer (in my experience) and thus the plant needs more room to thrive.
I wouldn't grow one  in such a small space personally but if you do then you might consider planting the grape outside and then training the vine into the greenhouse you will then get some natural shading for your other crops.

Gary.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:40:33 »
I have seen grapes in greenhouses 8x6' and they tend to swamp the contents if you go away for a week+ in the summer... better with an outside one on a wall!
 :-\

jo9919

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 17:02:22 »
It's a no then.

Thanks for your advice, glad I asked before buying one.

Jo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal