Author Topic: Garden vs Allotment  (Read 2115 times)

dan123

Garden vs Allotment
« on: April 09, 2008, 13:13:06 »
Hi all, my name is Dan and this is my first post, although I've enjoyed reading this site for several months.

I'm thinking of moving house within London and have a dilemma - do I try to find a house with a big enough  back garden for growing veggies, or should I go for an allotment?  The area I'm considering (Totteridge in north London) seems to have some plots available, so both options should be available to me.

Would those with allotments say that the benefits (I guess more space, sense of community with other plotholders) outweigh any disadvantages (less convenience for picking food, risk of vandalism)?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

betula

• Hectare
Re: Garden vs Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 13:19:20 »
Welcome Dan.

I would go for the garden option.It will always be yours.

You can always have an allotment as well ;D

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 13:23:41 »
Hi Dan and welcome.
As much as I love having a garden at home for the summer, if only for a bbq or to sit in the sun. I guess it would all come down to money.

A house with a large garden will cost significantly more than one with a smaller sized garden with an allotment. With the average price of a plot at around 25 pounds per year, thats a lot of years rent before you would make up the difference in price?

I've only got a smallish garden for growing at home but still manage to grow bits and bobs for home. I keep meaning to take some pics of the little 6 x 5 ft raised bed I made that can be quite fruitfull with good crop rotation and companion growing.

Shane

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 13:25:35 »
It was strange for us with an allotment at first, after growing veg in a large garden for several years. With a garden you have total control all the time. We've been lucky up to now with theft and vandalism, but i'd still prefer veg at home. On the other hand, with a plot you've got the company of other people, and for us anyway very little problem with slugs compared to a normal garden

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 14:39:35 »
Dan - Simple really do both!

Keep your garden for leisure/relaxation and the odd veggies.

Use the lottie for larger quantities of veggies - getting away from home for a bit, companionship, chewing the cud with a few like minded peeps.

Good luck with it and welcome to the site!

Old Bird

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 15:17:26 »
hiya, dan, nice to meet you, we grow herbs and salad leaves at home so's we can get them easily, some toms and peppers this year,in the greenhouse, ran out of room at the plot..have both, you'll soon need the room  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 17:26:42 »
Be warned, however much space you end up with, it will not be enough..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 18:10:46 »
I was always of the mentality that I'd prefer a big garden for the ease of access and control. But, having 'really' thought about it, I think both is the way forward. I could easily do the fiddly stuff at home, like things in the greenhouse and crops that require more attention. Then the bulk could be done at the allotment.

If I was fortunate enough to own a good plot of land, we'd get into animal husbandry, but we don't, so this'll do for now :)

Tim

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 18:18:55 »
No telephone or iron etc up the plot.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:23:38 »
What's an iron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!