Author Topic: Quick Tips  (Read 2313 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Quick Tips
« on: March 21, 2008, 21:34:11 »
I often try to get the members of my forum into growing and wondered if the good people at A4A would post a few tips on how to grow veg in limited space or stuff you can grow in pots that need little work?

Any tips given would be C&P'd to my forum and the thread would include a link to A4A.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Quick Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 17:03:46 »
Hi Mick.  I think your members would find all the answers they need if they came and browsed around A4A.  I only have a small garden and I grow all my edibles in pots in an area about 6 foot square (if that).  My top tips would be to use good sized containers, high quality compost, water regularly and only grow what you like to eat!  I've put together a slide show which I hope will give them an idea of what can be done.  Hope this helps.  G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 17:13:24 »
 ;D ;D ;D Loved the slide show Georgie and what an inspiration you are!!! Your potted garden is wonderful, just shows what can be done!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 19:24:23 »
Awww thanks very much, Aromatic, how kind of you to say so.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 21:00:01 »
Fantastic Georgie, you have actually made me realise I moan far too much about not having enough space.

You done a great job :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 21:04:58 »
Oh believe me, I moan a lot about lack of space here, Star.  But you know it's surprising how much you can fit into a small space when you put your mind to it.  I could never be self-sufficient of course, but that doesn't take away the joys of growing my own.   :)

G x

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 21:09:52 »
Yes exactly.......the joys of growing :D

I think I'll aim more skyward this year too, lots more climbers ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 21:29:11 »
I'd love them to come over to A4A Georgie but my forum is a little different to most forums as its for a pop star and most members never post unless I can wangle some prize from him that they can win and those that do post don't tend to use the internet for anything apart from searching for video's of him or for my site.

I was looking for tips because the allotment threads I've done do seem to be the more popular non-music threads.

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:42:54 »
Who?
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06:06 »
Georgie, although we  have a full size plot I might have to get some big pots for home as yours looks so good.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 14:17:10 »
Cheers Mark.  You'll have to let us know what you grow in your pots if you decide to go ahead.  :)  But a word of warning.  Most of my edibles never get as far as the kitchen as I graze on them whilst I potter around.   ;D

G x

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 20:17:23 »

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 22:05:56 »
I agree that 'skywards' is the way to go. Peas with lovely flowers growing up a nice frame from a big teracotta pot. Or runner beans.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 23:13:37 »
Don't sow too much( I ALWAYS do!), you end up with seedlings you can't bear to kill!

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 08:15:20 »
Georgie the slide show was very inspirational.  Looks fantastic.   ;D ;D ;D

What do you put on top of the pots?  Is it gravel, looks very attractive!!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:28:01 »
Yes, I really like the looks of the gravel, very tidy, and guess it keeps the plants clean during a hard rain. Great idea for me to try since the hard driving downpours we get sometimes wash the woodchip mulch out of the pots. Thank you for posting the inspiring pictures.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 12:55:03 »
Yes, it's gravel on top of the pots.  It serves a number of purposes: it adds weight so the pots are less likely to topple over in the wind; it helps to keep the compost moist; it helps prevent weeds germinating; and as Granny Annie says, it protects the plants from soil splash.  Some people also think that if you use the sharper horticultural grit it helps to deter slugs and snails but I have never found this to be the case, sadly.

G x

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 13:09:03 »
One tip is to grow some salad items in deep trays or even storage boxes. I grow small carrots densely sown in an old bakery tray lined with newspaper. Great as finger carrots for salads. You can do the same with cut and come again lettuce inches apart.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 15:34:58 »
One tip is to grow some salad items in deep trays or even storage boxes. I grow small carrots densely sown in an old bakery tray lined with newspaper. Great as finger carrots for salads. You can do the same with cut and come again lettuce inches apart.

Little Caesar Cos Romaine type lettuce grew so well for me in a plastic file box. Put it up on a picnic table so the rabbits couldn't get it either. simple to pick and very clean- no mud spatter. It was the easiest lettuce crop I've ever grown.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 16:24:44 »
plant some little gem lettuce in polystyrene boxes and float in the water butt, keeps the slugs off  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal