Author Topic: GOOD FRIDAY POTATO PLANTING?  (Read 3241 times)

betula

• Hectare
GOOD FRIDAY POTATO PLANTING?
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:48:17 »
I always like to put my potatoes in on Good Friday as it is tradition and that is the way I was taught years ago .However it is just too early and I think we are going to have lots more frosts soon.Pity.I like to stick to the old traditions. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: GOOD FRIDAY POTATO PLANTING?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 13:13:24 »
Totally agree!! ;D

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 13:24:21 »
The tradition of planting on Good Friday is only about 200 years old. It stems from the fact that the first holiday miners, mill workers, and factory workers got after Christmas was Good Friday, so it was the only chance they had to get to their allotments - something that was given to them to make up for the fact that they lived in row upon row of hamster cages with no gardens and crap wages and no-where to grow anything.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 13:28:24 »
Yes, Easter was always 'tatie planting time. It was hoped that the frost was away before the leaves showed through.
 Going to be a bit wet for digging trenches this weekend tho'.... :(

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 16:16:12 »
I planted mine more or less on Good Friday last year.  I'd never thought through the whys of this particular local tradition, but I've heard it lots from older folk.

This year, so far today we've had heavy rain, hailstones, blustery winds, and more rain.  Currently on a brief spell of sunshine.  Don't think I'll be rushing around the lottie with me spuds though.  :)
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 16:37:31 »
I am afraid I did go up and plant mine - but not because its a good friday but becuase I only grow earlies and I generaly plant them in the last couple of weeks of March. I also sowed the parsnips today. The soil on the lottie is almost black and the beds are in full sun - so tend to be able to plant fairly early.

Was a bit windy though.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 16:48:28 »
I agree. Too early for potato planting in most areas. Not a very reliable gardening lore if you ask me considering how easter can vary so much. I tend to aim for early april to get my seed spuds in, (i live in southern england).

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 17:28:45 »
Hey! planted mine today, glad it's a traditional day!  ;D (didn't know)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 17:44:05 »
Way too wet to plant spuds on my allotment just yet.

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 17:46:40 »
I was planning on digging over the bed for my earlies this weekend, but after a couple of fork fulls of heavy sodden earth I decided to sack that idea and pottered around weeding and mulching my strawberries instead! :)
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

jo9919

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 22:19:01 »
I grow in containers (I don't have a lottie), and therefore, I followed tradition and got my first earlies in. The container is in the greenhouse though, until the weather warms up.

Jo.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 23:35:11 »
Good Friday usually fits in with moon planting, not this year though. Easter Monday always does. If you believe that sort of thing of course. Too wet here anyway.

denis trundle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 08:19:40 »
Got mine in yesterday, the soil is perfect for planting down here on the south devon coast, warm and dry out the wind ;) also put some peas in and gladioli.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 08:28:30 »
Hoping to get mine in today, depending on how soggy the soil is.  Fingers crossed.  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 09:36:31 »
Put another line of earlies in yesterday, planned more today but hasn't stopped drizzling today, the earlies I put in five weeks ago are showing their heads so I covered up with dry compost and put large plastic bottles over them again.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 09:43:13 »
Good Friday usually fits in with moon planting, not this year though. Easter Monday always does. If you believe that sort of thing of course. Too wet here anyway.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday (to 3pm) are all root days for planting by the moon, which is why I planted yesterday. By Easter Monday you have moved into a flower day.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 17:24:34 »
i couldnt put mine in even if i wanted too. The bed I have planned to put my spuds in this year isnt ready yet. Was hoping to get it ready this weekend (or sometime around now) but it has been far too cold and windy to get out on the plot .

Instead i have spent today potting up some young bedding plants and sowing seeds - in the warmth of my conservatory! ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 17:32:52 »
Good plan GA, thats what I have done today as well :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 23:55:20 »
Suzanne you are too specific for me. Do you go by the constellations as well? I should try harder and look into it more.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 19:33:45 »
According to http://www.ommas-aarden.net/lunar_garden.08.htm, these are the root days for March and April:

March 21- Libra
22 - Libra
23 - Libra
24 - Scorpio
25 - Scorpio
26 - Sagittarius
27 - Sagittarius
28 - Sagittarius

April 20- Scorpio
21 - Scorpio
22 - Scorpio
23 - Sagittarius
24 - Sagittarius
25 - Capricorn
26 - Capricorn
27 - Capricorn

Unfortunately, it does not fit my schedule at all - potatoes are going to go in during the Spring holiday, so I will not be following the lunar calendar.  I should think some will so I will compare what does with what doesn't.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal