Author Topic: What have I learned in my first year?  (Read 2704 times)

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
What have I learned in my first year?
« on: March 24, 2008, 23:31:58 »
Well it's been a whole year since I got my lottie and I've loved every minute of it!

I've become a lottie bore, I tell everyone that I meet that I've got an allotment and chickens and what I'm growing.

Has anyone else been afflicted with this!?  ;D
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

betula

• Hectare
Re: What have I learned in my first year?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 23:41:29 »
Oh yes,I manage to work it into most conversations ;D

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:06:44 »
I work with four  19 year olds and the glazed/bored look on their faces is priceless when I start chuntering on about what I got upto at the weekend ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 17:06:49 »
Yeh - everyone who isn't a plotman looks at us in amazement.

They quite like the free veg and fruit though.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 19:13:49 »
I do find it useful at work mind you...  my new job is working at a bank servicing the accounts of 'well off' clients.  It helps to be able to strike up a conversation with them but most of them end up telling me about THEIR chickens and how they grew up on farms etc.

Most folks at work often ask about the chickens... ie do i keep them for eating or not.  I tell them 'not these one's' but that I'll be getting some to raise for meat.   They're always surprised that people do these things  ::)
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 19:58:29 »
I am a total plant bore now! I was even late today to meet someone because I was mollycoddling my tomato seedlings!!!  :o
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 20:28:34 »
I am always amused when folks find it weird that some people grow veggies..do they think the ones they eat grow on trees.

I amazed at the fact that many folks only think tomatoes are red, or that radishes can  grow long as well as round and fat, but I think the one that really cracks me up is that potatoes grow underground and have mud on them when harvested!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 20:52:46 »
Yep! I'm a staff room clearer too! but colleagues cry out for my homemade marmalade (own oranges) and veg boxes, and are gob smacked with the meals they are served from my fresh organic produce when they come over! so it's worth it!!  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:31 »
Last year I walked into a birthing room to take over care of a woman in labour, she was puffing and blowing away, looked up and said " I know you, you're the lady with the allotment!" I was a bit taken aback, as I could not recall looking after her before, but it turned out we had met at one of our sites 'Open Days' the year before...They had a lottie in another city, so we were off into lottie talk!

Not the first time I have used veg talk as an alternative pain relief! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal