Author Topic: very basic peat pot question  (Read 1112 times)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
very basic peat pot question
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:08 »
Hi All,

i have a bunch of small peat pots to get a few bits going - they are about an inch square.

do i just put soil in - then seed. Then do i water them? I was a bit concerned that they will fall apart if a drip touches them!

After that do i take it they just go straight in the ground 'as is' so no taking the plant out of the pot.

Thanks
Liam
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

sarah

• Hectare
Re: very basic peat pot question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:16:27 »
yes they go straight in the ground.  yes you can water them,  they go a bit floppy but stay together ok.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 13:13:19 »
is it worth knocking the bottom out if you are using them to start root veg such as carrots?

Ta
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 13:22:54 »
personally i wouldnt use them to start carrots or parsnips. i would sow carrot seed direct when its a bit warmer (after this cold spell is when i will sow my first ones ).  i also sow parsnip direct but if you want to start them off in modules then its better to use something like toilet rolls so that the tap root isnt obstructed. the peat pots would be ideal for starting things like ...um.... hmm.... beetroot lettuces tomatoes (which would need potting on later) brassicas maybe.   :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 13:31:18 »
Ta,

We have heavy clay and mutant Ninja slugs, so I start as much as possible in pots & transplant when they're big enough to manage the conditions, direct sowing has been a disaster in previous years.  I got a batch of peat pot sin a closing down sale for next to nowt, but I've never used them before so trying a bit of everything.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 13:42:46 »
I water from the bottom  :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 15:53:48 »
what you could do for your carrots and roots is to make a small trench about say ten to twelve inches deep and five or six inches across anf fill this trench with lovely soft compost and sow into that. you will get lovely carrots that way. probably. (not done it myself).  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal