Author Topic: cucumber  (Read 1327 times)

suhayb

• Not So New ...
cucumber
« on: July 16, 2004, 23:37:21 »
should i be nipping out some of the fruits and only leaving a few, or just let them all go wild.
thanks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:cucumber
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 23:42:45 »
Dunno, but I am letting mine run riot!  Every single flower has a baby cumber on it and I am thrilled!  ;D  Expert advice please  ;D

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 23:56:03 »
Everyone has their own theory I'm sure but in my experience I've found that by pinching-out half the flowers I end up with a better quality crop.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 06:44:41 »
As said, each to their own.
1. If you look back at my Cucumbers, you may find a warning of what may come - through no fault of your own.
2. It is possible that limiting the number of fruits might avoid that problem?
3. But I would rather let nature do the 'pruning' - can't afford to knowingly waste one cu!
4. The 'book' way of limiting  growth, and preventing a jungle, is first to pinch out all flowers below 2' ,& then all side shoots beyond the first leaves beyond the first fruit. At roof height, pinch out & allow 2 side shoots to develop. I don't do this - I train along horizontal canes.
5. Make sure you don't miss a fruit in the jungle & let it go to seed, slowing up the others. = Tim

PS While we're on the subject - Gracius (indoor/outdoor cu) is very pecu-liar.
Unlike a normal plant, which goes flower=fruit, flower=fruit, it produces some 10 flowers (more than half male) at every junction up to 10 feet - and THEN starts producing fruit. Most off-putting!! These are climbing across the top of the toms.
PS If you get a glut, don't forget Delia's Sweet Cu Pickle - it's ace!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 08:42:13 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal