Author Topic: Limpy chicken....Advice please!:-\  (Read 1593 times)

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
Limpy chicken....Advice please!:-\
« on: April 06, 2008, 22:10:59 »
Hello! My chicken seems to have a limp and I am not sure what to do with her! Can anyone help me?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Limpy chicken....Advice please!:-\
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 22:38:05 »
Try to segregate her for a couple of days to give her time to self heal without being bullied.

I had a hen with similar symptoms last year.  She was bullied and deteriorated in health over a few days as a result.  Once segregated she recovered within a week.  She was in a cage within the cree so the other hens all had close contact but could not physically get to her.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Limpy chicken....Advice please!:-\
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 14:31:44 »
Pick your chicken up and have a good feel of her leg..can you see anything wrong with it, does she feel it sore when you touch some part of it, any chances in colour or is there any scales that stick out...feel systematically from top to bottom..
I 've had limping chickens, most of the time they recover on they own, but it is good to check and keep eye on them..if you cannot feel or see anything wrong with her leg and it doesn't improve over period of time or it is getting worst then you have to take action.
See if she drinks and eat normally... 
 ...once one of my girls was limping because she was dehydrated..she was always a bit of timid side and last to get her food.
I picked her up few times a day, gave water and glugose mix  with pipette and she picked some corn from my hand...after couple of days she was much stronger and stopped limping...this one became my favourite one and she readily let me pick her up providing that I gave her some treats too... ;D
She was only chicken that I have ever named...Doris...rest of them have always been just "girls"or "that one with funny toe" etc...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal