Author Topic: Reporting in  (Read 2643 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Reporting in
« on: July 16, 2004, 23:02:20 »
Well, our pond has been in situ for over a month, so I thought I would just post an update of pondlike events.

It is still green, altho it is begining to clear a little more.  We have lots and lots of plants in it - technical names, no idea, but there is a little water lilly in there, and oxygenators, and marsh marigolds, spear head (or something like that) and a couple of others.  The waterfall is all finished made with slabs of slate and pebbles and it looks wonderful, and the slate allows birds to rest and drink and splash around, and gives the frogs and toads room to get out of the pond.  From our first 8 fish, that were given to us from the father in laws pond, only 3 survived.  I think something was up there....either they were shocked with the move as they were only teeny tiny, or they were poorly as later the inlaws confessed that they had lost a few fish.  Ava and the kids purchased another 8 from a reputable aquatic shop, and now all 11 are thriving and are a joy!  They come up to feed and dart around.  The children (and Ava) just sit on the edge and watch them all content.  We also have several resident frogs - and two of them are HUGE!  They love to sit on the marginal plant pots, and again the kids adore them and try to stroke them, and you can always tell because of the squeal from them as the frog makes a leap for freedom.

So there you have it.  Pond is up and running and doing what a pond should do.  The plants around the edge are begining to sprawl so it is blending in nicely.  I am really pleased I agreed to let Ava build one, I had my worries early on, the kids, the garden, the responsibility - I know they are only goldfish, but still someone has to look after them!  :P

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Reporting in
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 23:23:58 »
Hi Emma, I believe I saw a picture of your new pond a few weeks ago and it looked lovely, my only concern is that fish and wild life in small ponds don’t really mix. I would recommend you stick with goldfish as they are as tough as old boots and they will need to be tough if that big frog runs out of female frogs to keep him happy as he will ride them like a bucking bronco (That word won’t get past the censor) and stifle the fish by compressing their gills. Nice to encourage birds to the pond too but they will pass on parasites through their waste. Sorry.
Hope I’m wrong.
Roy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal