Author Topic: £100 OFF A NEW MANTIS TILLIER  (Read 4502 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
£100 OFF A NEW MANTIS TILLIER
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:53 »
I am off to buy this magazine and check out page 83.   listed in the readers section of the magazine near the bottom of the page. I will let you know what it says when I buy it. Unless somebody has got any more info:
http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/contents.php
The offer is of £100 off a new Mantis Tillier. I was gonna wait until next year but may be swayed now if this is correct.

Alternatively I am looking at item M43, a 4 stroke mantis (with accessories!), on here:
http://www.classic-lawns.co.uk/acatalog/tillers.html?gclid=CLuA__qX-5ECFQ0RuwodjjSHpg

Are these prices ok or can I buy them cheaper
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:12:26 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: £100 OFF A NEW MANTIS TILLIER
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:37:43 »
I have the smaller 2stroke Mantis. Can't remember what I paid for it but it's been a boon for the last 12 years or so.

Rough dug.
[attachment=1]

Mantis finished.
[attachment=2]

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:19:07 »
I too have the smaller Mantis tiller with attachments which I bought last year.  Unfortunately I can't remember what I paid but I am dying to try out the plough attachment to do my potatoes this year.  If you are expecting it to do the work of a heavy-weight rotovator you might be disappointed (going by comments from others at the lottie) but it gives a great tilth for carrots, etc.  I'm very happy with it.
Twinkletoes

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 20:46:49 »
Furrows for spuds....use the single tines facing forwards. Saves lots of time and back ache.... ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 18:04:08 »
I'm on the lookout for a 'Mantis' and the cheapest price I have come across is £248.99 can anyone beat this price :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:22 »
I'm on the lookout for a 'Mantis' and the cheapest price I have come across is £248.99 can anyone beat this price :)
Is that for 4 stroke or 2 stroke?  There is a big price difference between the two.  Also: some os the more expensive ones do come with attachments that would be more expensive if purchased seperate.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 18:20:20 »
KT,
        That is the price for the bog standard 2 stroke which will serve my purpose, the chap on the opposite lotty to me uses a 2stroke Mantis and the tilth it gave to his soil was remarkable working it first with his rotovator, I hope this will give me a better chance of growing some nice carrots and parsnips next year :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 20:35:37 »
Just found another brand new 'Mantis' 2stroke for £245.00 post free :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:50:26 »
Can a mantis be used in raised beds ? My raised beds are 10x4 foot.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:23 »
duke - I thought the idea of raised beds is that you don't have to do all that back breaking digging? But if you do - why not use a Mantis. I love mine.
twinkletoes

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 18:15:48 »
Ok smarty pants!! ;D I was wondering about creating a nice fine tilth in my raised beds I suppose. They were created this year.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:02:20 »
What do you want a tilth for? A small seed needs about 1/4 inch square, which you can make with a dining fork if you're that fussy. If you make a whole bed into a tilth, you make a whole bed which is ideal for weeds. they will take advantage, I promise!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:46:13 »
I want a nice deep tilth bed to put my carrots and parnips in next year, not having the time I would like for the lotty I think a 'Mantis' would be a little bit quicker than a fork :)

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 22:44:59 »
I bought the 4 stroke mantis two years ago for £297, which was good at the time.
It starts like a dream, almost never stalls, and you dont have to mess about mixing petroil (and your carb wont clog up if you dont run it to empty)
Does a great job in a raised bed, but DONT let the tines hit the boards, or you may follow it into the air!
Only thing, as with all Mantis: it only digs deeply when pulled back towards you against the thrust - used over too large an area you can go home like a orang-utang(untie your boots without bending down!)
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 12:00:22 »
Even found a better Mantis 2stroke deal for £219.00 post free it arrived this morning easy to put togetther out of the box and runs like a trooper :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 13:27:51 »
I was wondering about creating a nice fine tilth in my raised beds I suppose. They were created this year.

Duke

I have used my 2 stroke Mantis on my raised beds to incorporate chunky cow manure and it worked very well, but you have to contol it carefully or you will get a lot of spillage onto the paths! I didn't use it last year, just spread manure and forked it over (only because I was ill most of the New Year!), but we are now starting to tackle the wilderness of the new plot, so it will be useful to go over any new beds once they have been dug over to get a nice finish. I still find the 2 stroke a b*gger to start though, and I'm not a frail little flower.... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 20:05:49 »
I think with 2strokes it is choke control that causes a lot of the starting problems, even with my new 'Mantis' with only five minutes running on the clock if it does not kick up on the third pull I will put the choke back in give it another pull and away it goes :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 16:28:39 »
Just used my 'mantis' for the first time today and what a good bit of kit it is, get one of e-bay quick before  stocks run out for only £219.99 :)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 22:06:41 »
I still find the 2 stroke a b*gger to start though, and I'm not a frail little flower.... ;)

2 stroke engines are renowned for being difficult to start when "between heats", that is neither hot nor cold. I always steer clear of 2 strokes, I use an electric Mantis. An excellent machine and very quiet.

Can a mantis be used in raised beds ? My raised beds are 10x4 foot.

Duke

My beds are not raised but are 1 metre wide x 8-9metres long. It tills the ground in 4 or 5 passes. Makes a good tilth in about 10 minutes.

http://www.erowell.co.uk/Gardening/clay-soil.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 22:17:44 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 13:04:12 »
I know I'm crowing on about these 'Mantis' but I used mine this morning on some ground what I want to prepare for next year for mi onions and it really did a good job, if I had been it by hand I would of not have been typing this but would of still  been  digging, so all I can say is don't knock em untill you've  had a go with one ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal