Author Topic: Dedicated plant sections?  (Read 8108 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Dedicated plant sections?
« on: March 18, 2008, 19:36:18 »
Just a thought, but A4A is becoming a very, very popular site, especially for 'new-to-allotments' people and I was wondering what people thought about the idea of a dedicated thread for the more popular fruit/veg and flowers.

The reason behind it is that at certain times of the year there are 'things to be done' with particular plants and it just seems to me to be a sensible way forward to place questions and answers relating to a particular plant all in the same place.

As an example, this month there have been quite a few questions and very good answers and advice given about tomatoes. But! Rather than them being all in the same place, they pop-up as new threads scattered all over the place. 
This has led to many repeats of the same questions and answers.

Wouldn't it make sense to have just one thread on 'what-ever' product with all questions/answers/advice within it so people could be directed to that thread without having to repeat it over and over again?
Bound to help with navigation if nothing else!

Would that be better than trawling the site or having to ask/answer the same questions when the answer can't be found....... or not?
Ken.

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: Dedicated plant sections?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 19:40:48 »
That sounds like a good idea ken. One thing though, it would be important not to get like some other forums where we tell newbies off for asking the same question as someone else did, and perhaps in the wrong place.

I had this regularly on a forum I was new to a few years ago, and in the end, I just left it as I felt so stupid :-[

cj :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 19:52:49 »
Thankfully Cj, I've never found that to be the case on A4A ....people here have always been more than willing to help with advice rather than push aside those who are seeking it. I don't see the regular long term people on here anything other than a wealth of ready and helpful advice.

Being directed to the location of the answer is merely a speedy solution to a question asked, is it not?
I have no fears about this site degenerating into the likes of so many others.....there are far too many sensible people on here..... ;)
Ken.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 20:10:45 »
a dedicated thread for the more popular fruit/veg and flowers.

Basically I would agree with this but in this day and age with some people growing some of the more exotic things available where would the list end?

Could I suggest we have a poll asking our members what they would like to see on such a list.

Then once this is complete then perhaps the top ten vegetables and the top five flowers would be nominated for individual discussion and everything else remains as it it now, i.e. as required.

To do this I would suggest that the members make their nomination by category, then once a list has been established members be allowed to choose any five from that list, then as always the top ten (if that is what is wanted) will have individual threads.

As I see it some form of restriction has to be placed otherwise we could all vote for everything that is nominated then where would we be?

Thats my initial thoughts on what I think is basically a good idea and I look forward to what the other have to say.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 20:20:14 »
I'm with you on that TeeGee, hence my reason for saying.....the idea of a dedicated thread for the more popular fruit/veg and flowers...

As we're all aware, the list really is a never-ending one so would need to be restricted to the very common plants which get many mentions.

It's just an idea at the moment and would probably never reach the stage where a dedicated board would be created, but a dedicated thread for what most members would like to have covered does make some sort of sense from a navigational point.

Any ideas and ways forward on this one would be welcome.
 Thanks, TeeGee for those points.
Ken.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 20:31:41 »
I seem to remember a discussion about a year ago about splitting 'edibles' into fruit, veg and herbs to make navigation easier.  I might even have started it?  There didn't seem to be much appetite for that suggestion.  As for this idea, I'm easy.  It might work, it might not.  We could give it a trial maybe?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 20:42:28 »
 Is it possible to have sub-forums here? if so you could have sub-forums for fruit, veg and herbs as Georgie  said and then have dedicated threads in the right sub-forums which may also help to keep the forum clean.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 20:47:06 »
I remember that, Georgie and it possibly didn't take off due to all of those 'different' plants being, again, so diversified, although I did think that quite a good idea.

As TeeGee rightly pointed out, and also as I stated, is that such a move would really only have to include the most popular covered/discussed plants.

I'm sure it's a move for the better but obviously one which has to be done with suggestions and support from A4A members.

It's an idea that's a long time awaited but won't move from discussion to action without enough support.

Time will tell, but as I see it, the sooner the better so that we can all benefit from having a speedy answer to our many questions, and all in the same place!
Ken.

(PS: Sorry, MickW....I stomped on your post)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 20:56:44 »
I like things just the way they are 8)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 21:01:00 »
My concern is that new people may just read the information and not post.I think asking questions is a good way of breaking the ice :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 21:02:36 »
It wouldn't prevent asking questions, but it would certainly lead to a faster answer.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 21:04:22 »
That was a very fast answer Ken :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 21:04:51 »
I like things just the way they are 8)

When you know all the answers you don't need to change anything!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 21:05:38 »
That was a very fast answer Ken :)
I have candle grease on me bum!.... ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 21:18:42 »
If it ain't broke why mend it. Thought you might have got the message on the photies where you have to go touting for business in the other sections. What used to be a fun and simple to understand bit is now just  'too heavy' 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 21:31:19 »
Ace is right. This site is already too complicated and off putting for newcomers as it is! Rather off putting for long time users too.
Gardening is the great leveller.

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 21:51:36 »
If it aint broke dont fix it

I and i would think others like the informal atmosphere around here

Someone fixed the photography section and lots stopped using it me included

mrf94

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 22:12:59 »
If it ain't broke why mend it. Thought you might have got the message on the photies where you have to go touting for business in the other sections. What used to be a fun and simple to understand bit is now just  'too heavy' 
It's an idea ACE, that's all. You don't like it, that's fine, let's see how many do.
Regarding the photo section, it's more supported now than ever before and I'll discuss any part of it with anyone in the appropriate place, that's the Photo comments section, not here. All suggestions put forward in there by A4A members are certainly taken on board and acted on, hence the support it now has.
Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 22:14:58 »
Ace is right. This site is already too complicated and off putting for newcomers as it is! Rather off putting for long time users too.

I don't see the site as complicated, Eric. I only visit those boards I'm interested in. Any that don't appeal to me I don't open.
 That's not all that complicated is it?
Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 22:17:03 »
If it aint broke dont fix it

I and i would think others like the informal atmosphere around here

Someone fixed the photography section and lots stopped using it me included

mrf94

Regarding the photo section, contact me in the Photo comments section, mrf, and I'll certainly take on board any improvements you might suggest.
Ken.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal