Author Topic: Buying a shed  (Read 1014 times)

Pita

• Not So New ...
Buying a shed
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:47:05 »
I need to but a shed for my new allotment.  Any hints and tips as to what type are best?
Do they come with floors, do they need to be put on anything?

any advice welcome

:-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Buying a shed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:26 »
hiya, pita..ours is on a flag base..we bought them from a local shed builder, maybe one in your area..they made, treated and put it up for us  ;D

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13:30 »
Would always set it up high on blocks about 12 to 18 inches high to help prevent mice or rats getting inside. Also helps to stop damp and water getting in as well.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:21:56 »
I've always put heavy timber (railway sleeper type) on bricks at each corner and the centre and put the shed on that. Mind you, the sheds I built/erected were heavy. These days they seem pretty flimsy so I'd also drive 3x3 stakes in at each corner and fasten the shed to them.

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 22:42:42 »
Kenkew is right about the quality/build of sheds nowadays. I used to sell and erect sheds and there are some pretty nasty looking specimens out there today.

It all depends on what you want to spend, how long you want it for and security of your allotment. If you are likely to get vandals having a go at it then I wouldn't want to spend too much.

A quality shed is likely to cost you £450 upwards depending on size. A proper floor with floorboards not chipboard (starts to disintergrate when wet) a roof of similar build. Good stout timber uprights to hold your shed sides together etc.

Or you can go cheap, the opposite of the above. But whatever you decide on, get it up away from the ground, or your floor will rot in no time if not. Floor bearers (minimum 3" x 2" timber) to lift your floor clear and let air flow through underneath. You can use sleepers etc as previously suggested and also put chicken wire or similar around the bottom to keep rats out.

I got mine off Ebay, had to buy roofing felt and clout nails etc. If possible go and have a look at it first. There are good and bad in secondhand sheds, you could get a real bargain or a rubbish deal.
Happiness is leaf shaped

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 22:54:27 »
Just wanted to add that I'd avoid the 'overlap' type sheds that you often see for £150 or so. I bought one for the garden at home 2 years ago and its basically just thick balsa wood. Loads of the planks were warped within a couple of weeks once the sun had hit them - leaving huge gaps which was just an open invitation to all kinds of creepie crawlies.

If you go for a cheap shed - at least spend an extra few quid and get a shiplap (T&G) shed.

Would it not be cheaper to buy the timber and build it yourself?
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 23:18:50 »
It needs to be large enough for your needs. Is it for storage of equipment? Is it going to have a work area? Will you be able to get in out of the rain in bad weather?

Put a good waterproofing on the roof. Treat the wood on the outside against the weather. Ensure you can attach some drainage to catch the rainfall to fill those water-butts. (Filling one a day at the moment 8).
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:08 »
I bought a 6'x4' shed the other month for £99.0 nothing special but good enough for the lotty I levelled the ground and placed it on slabs, this very day B&Q have a similar one on offer for £109.00 :)

Pita

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:34:46 »
thank you all for your advice, I am off to buy one tomorrow, will let you know what I end up with.
Should be fun putting it together.

;Dhttp://

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 18:48:13 »
Pita,
        just get an extra pair of hands with you when you start to put up your shed, I have put up many sheds but an extra pair of hands is a god send when it comes to putting up a shed, :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal