Author Topic: evergreen climber  (Read 2205 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
evergreen climber
« on: July 16, 2004, 15:10:26 »
My friend is looking for an easy climber that's evergreen and will grow happily in a pot. Must be very low maintenance (I'm her gardener - she doesn't really do gardening, although does water things according to my instructions!)

I was thinking Jasmin - but is there an evergreen jasmin?
gone to pot :D

Kerry

• Hectare
Re:evergreen climber
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 15:20:20 »
hi aquilegia :)
hmm, evergreen jasmine, not sure, i have jasminum officinale and jasminum beesianum but to my recollection both drop their leaves wintertime., although beesianum has berries autumn.
I have an evergreen honeysuckle though, it is lonicera similis var. delavayi, it is flowering at present with pure white flowers, and has a lovely scent. I have it twining through a buddleia. Truly evergreen too, not just keeping some miserable tatty brownish leaves on! (It's in a south facing spot though). Having found the plant label it says it will flourish in any well drained soil, any aspect, height to 16ft, can be restricted by pruning.
I believe there is an evergreen clematis that flowers winter/spring time. although I don't grow this-think its armandii? :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:evergreen climber
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:31:40 »
The evergreen clematis IS armandii, and it is quite vigorous so you must be carefull whre you plant it!. That said the flowers are scented (like apple blossom i think) and the new growth is an atractive bronze colour.

Other than that (and IVY) i cant think of another suitable evergreen climber offhand.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal