Author Topic: Blueberry Pie  (Read 2617 times)

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
Blueberry Pie
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:47:13 »
Aargh! I get this feeling I'm in a bit over my head, as I've only just gotten beyond killing things with last year's tomatoes. I bought a blueberry! I LOVE 'em, so I thought I'd try it. Now, I'm reading that perhaps I should have got two, and I know that next weekend, when I go back to the nursery, they'll all be gone! Having said that, I'm growing it in a pot full of that ericaceous stuff, so cross your fingers!
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re:Blueberry Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:53:46 »
Hmmm I wonder if I could grow raspberries in a pot?
How big is the pot you're growing it in?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 10:59:02 »
It's maybe 20 litres? It took most of a 20L bag of dirt, and the plant. The nursery guy reckons I'll have to repot at the end of the summer, but hey.

I reckon you could grow raspberries. Why not? I have to grow everything in pots, let me know how you go if you try, and I'll add it to my list of next year plants.

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 11:12:31 »
Same here with the pots. Live in a flat, with no garden, but on the plus side I do have 2 small balconies that are fairly sunny and frost-free.
Planning on growing tomatoes, peppers, and chillis, and perhaps some strawberries.
Its probably too late to plant raspberries now, but I'll go and look it up.
Moggle

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:14 »
Tehy did have raspberry canes at the nursery Sunday. Looked rather stick-like, no leaves or anything yet.

I'm going with tomatoes and chillis, carrots, zucchini, and my herbs again. All from seed this year, so I'm a wee bit nervous.

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 11:22:45 »
Forgot to mention the spuds in a couple of big tubs, no idea how that is going to turn out.
The raspberries may just have to wait until next year when I've proved that I'm not going to kill everything, and that it is worth getting an allotment. Then I'll go mad with the raspberries  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 15:06:31 »
Bananagirl, have you seen the bit on the Beeb gardening site about growing blueberries? Seemed to have a few tips on there about growing in pots.
Moggle

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 16:36:05 »
Cor get you two having your own conversation  ;)  So now I am going to but in.  I am sure you would be able to grow raspberry canes in a pot, but they kinda spread a bit from the base so I suppose you could only really put one parent cane per pot.  I have grown apple trees in pots, and I don't mean those little weeny ones, and I used to get a decent crop.  I think the rule is, if you grow things in pots you have to keep an eye on the watering and you have to feed regularly.  The blueberries should be ideal in a pot for of acidy potting compost but you should water them with rain water rather than tap water as eventually tap water will turn the acid soil limey.  You can buy soluable acid fertilisers which you could use if you have to use tap water.  Okay, bored you rigid so I am off!   ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 18:54:19 »
Whoops, I didn't mean to hijack the conversation. :)
I was just enjoying someone elses near obsession with berries.  

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 08:35:56 »
Hey, loads of advice, how cool! I'm busy trying to persuade my flatmate (landlord) that I need a rainwater butt. I also read somewhere that you can leave tap water to sit for a couple days before using it, as this gets rid of the chlorine. I think I'm going to have to have a go and see what happens. I will definitely trawl thru the BBC and see what they have to say. This is fun!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal