Author Topic: salsify and scornenzdinakdfiaa (whatever it is called!)  (Read 2638 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Thanks to Cleo, I have salsify and scorzenenenearra (or whatever it is called) growing strongly.  When will they be ready, and what on earth do I do with them?

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:salsify and scornenzdinakdfiaa (whatever it is called!)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 13:57:54 »
I'm growing some salsify -my book basically says 'as for parsnips', I think scorenza ??? is the same.

Jeremy

P.S.

http://mtmt.essortment.com/whatissalsify_rgps.htm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 14:13:43 by derbex »

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 18:40:01 »
Salsify is biennial - we left one last year - the flower is pretty and the seed head is quite impressive.
Scorzonera is a perennial. Roots of both can be dug up from about October onwards, but if the scorzonera roots aren't that large, you can leave them for another year or so. Also, care must be used when lifting - use fork, and ease them out of the soil gently - we didn't and some of the roots snapped (and what was left from last year is now growing amongst my maincrop spuds).
As for what to do with them, we have been roasting them for sunday lunch! Scorzonera = the
roots can be baked, pureed, dipped in batter, sauteed and made into croquettes and fritters, deep-fried or served au gratin with cheese and breadcrumbs.
from Complete book of veg, herbs and fruit.
Salsify & scorzonera:  
They discolour when cut, so drop into water with a dash of lemon juice then boil for 25 mins in salted water with a tablespoon of flour added - peel after boiling. Toss with melted butter and chopped parsley.

Salsify -
try them with a light mornay sauce, deep-fried or served au gratin with cheese and breadcrumbs. Perhaps sauteing them in butter and eating with brown sugar.. Roots can be baked, pureed, creamed for soup or grated raw in salads.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 19:22:25 »
yep all of that---don`t you just spit when you send seeds and your own fail miserably??? ;D.

Stephan.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 21:51:23 »
Hi Emma Jane

I didn't dig mine out before december - and yes, make sure you dig deep, and ease them out, as it's so easy to break the roots.

As for using them - this I know

Scrub the roots, trim the ends, and cut into 2 inch lengths, cook for 20-25 minutes in boiling salted water until the skin peels very easily - with a little lemon juice to stop them discolouring.  

Drain them and peel off the skin.   Toss in melted butter/olive oil and chopped parsley or lemon thyme.   Delicious with a fine piece of grilled fish!

These I haven't tried - but they can also be roasted, boiled'n mashed (on their own or with carrots, swedes), or served au gratin with cheese and breadcrumbs.   Parsnip chips work - so might salsify chips?

All best - Gavin

PS  They seem to vary wildly in flavour, depending on soil and weather (?).  In a good year, they are absolutely sublime; aromatic and earthy.  In an an ordinary year, they're just delicious (such a disappointment!  :) :))

nepeta

• Not So New ...
  • I love cats
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 17:34:56 »
One warning here :o :o

I have salisify growing as weed in my garden.
This mystery plant came up one year, what lovely flowers and seed heads I thought. It took me a while to find out it was actually a vegetable. Anyway because it was such a pretty flower I saved the seed, which I planted and it grew very well and spread itself around mine and neighbours gardens.
Four years later I am still pulling it up :o

So be careful with lovely seed heads.

I believe the the young green shoots can also be eaten.

Nepeta

Cats rule !

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 11:00:08 »
OKay, I shall be careful when digging to make sure I get it all up, and I probably won't let it go to seed as I only have a handful - unless of course I don't like it, which is unlikely!  ;D  Thanks for all of the recipe ideas - poor old Ava is having to try all of my wonderful experiments and he really isn't a veggie man!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal