Author Topic: avocado  (Read 1745 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
avocado
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:49:45 »
Much to my surprise, the avocado stone that I planted has actually grown. It didn't do anything for ages, so I bunged it outside (still in it's pot) and it now has a 6in shoot! I've potted it up (thick, healthy looking roots).

But what now? Of course, I'll bring it indoors. How moist does it like to be? How much light should I give it? Will it ever actually fruit?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:avocado
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 13:07:49 »
We grew one a couple of years back Aqui, and it reached over 5 foot.  Ours lived in our conservatory and grew nicely, until one very very very hot day, and it frazzed and burnt in the heat, never to grow again  :'(.  I think they can fruit, but they have to mature and get pretty big to do the business.  If you have the room, then who know!  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 13:19:04 »
Wow - How long did it take to get to that size? I'm going to need a bigger living room!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 13:19:44 »
Only about 3 years Aqui.  Once it started it grew very quickly indeed!

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 19:25:22 »
Aqui the ones I remember in South Africa that fruited are enormous, about oak tree size, so I think your livingroom would have to be around Buckingham Palace scale for you to get the full benefit! But you never know, you may get a baby Avocado one day. My father used to germinate them by sticking three match sticks into the seed and then placing it on top of a glass of water, the match sticks hold the seed so that about 1 third of the base is submerged in water. They grow pretty quickly that way, putting the glass on a windowsill.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 19:27:44 »
will it ever fruit?-never say never cos you may win the lottery and move ;)-but under normal UK conditions-not a chance-sorry.

Stephan

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 21:31:05 »
I had one for about 15 years and it was about 8ft tall very lush and healthy,  unfortunately due to someone losing his temper it got demolished but they don't bear fruit in cold climates as far as I know, they grow all over the place in California so they need sun.................and I haven't seen any of that for a long time!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal