Author Topic: Chard?  (Read 2539 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Chard?
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:02 »
Not sure why but I bought some Chard seeds yesterday.... I think I bought them because I had nheard people mention it on here!!  Whats it like?  It says you eat the stalks and can use the leaves as spinach.... Sounds good to me.!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Chard?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 11:36:50 »
I've only had it raw in salads. Cut the young tender leaves for that.
gone to pot :D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 11:41:45 »
Adam, the older leaves are very nice steamed with some butter and some salt.

I've also used it instead of spinach in pasta fillings.

Doris Pinks has also very kindly posted a recipe for Saag Aloo using Chard in the 'recipies' section.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

rdak

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:03:43 »
I remove stalks and use just as spinach. This must be one of the best value crops- I can't keep up with mine and a lot just gets composted-- a good green manure maybe?!

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:04:00 »
Thanks for that!  I have been growing Perpetual Spinach this year with great results... Used it for salads/pasta/sunday dinner/sag curry/omlette's etc etc... Just thought I might try something different for next year..!  Will the chard grow back as the spinach does?

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:09:53 »
Yes, it grows back, and back, and back.....

Jeremy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:39:13 »
When it starts growing, it goes crazy!  I only have 9 plants as 2 bolted very early on, but the remainders are huge with gorgeous big glossy leaves and wonderfully coloured stems.  I have light pink, deep pink, bright yellow and white!  Use the big leaves cooked pretty much the same way you would spinach or 'greens' and the stalks are gorgeous steamed or lightly boiled and smothered in butter  :P  Young tender leaves yummy raw or if they are going to be included in something, then bunged in at the last minute so they don't get overcooked.  The roots look pretty impressive also.  Wonder if they are edible....... ???

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:43:57 »
Is it a periennials or annual?

After reading this I'm very much looking forward to growing it next year (no room for it this year!)
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 12:46:13 »
I guess so Aqui, I think it is a case of leaving it in until mother nature intervenes or it bolts.  I guess it slows down leaf production as it gets older

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 12:48:58 »
Thats great!  Means I will still need to keep a good supply of windcheaters handy.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 12:58:46 »
Being different, I have always sown each year. It always goes to seed about June. We're into our this year's sowing now.

Like spinach? NO - like chard - much nicer!! And do use the stalks. With young Rainbow Chard, they all go in together. With stuff you have to cut, rather than break, chop & cook a while first.

Yes - saag/palak aloo - great! And roulade & pasta  & pancake thingies etc = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal