Author Topic: tree trunk  (Read 2054 times)

pako

• Not So New ...
tree trunk
« on: March 13, 2008, 21:00:31 »
does anyone know what size a trunk of a tree can be cut befor you have to get council permission.
thanks
pako

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: tree trunk
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 23:57:22 »
Depends entirely on your council, what type of tree it is and what kind of area it's growing in. You really need to contact your own council to find out the rules that apply.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 00:45:52 »
If its your tree and there's no 'Tree Preservation Order' on it, then there's no limit to trunk size
If its your tree and there is a  'Tree Preservation Order' on it, then there's no limit to fine/jail sentence.
If its not your tree ...                                                                then there's no limit to what the owner will do.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:22:52 »
Your council should have a website with this information on it. That is the best way to start your inquiries. If you phone and give your name and address, all you will get is a jobsworth coming around to asssess the situation and they will charge for this service.

Some pest trees sycamores/willow/etc are sometimes exempt, some trees that can pose a danger, ie wind damaged/weakened can be taken down. Always get plenty of photos if you diy and then try to plead ignorance later.

Instead of individual trees having an order on them some councils mark around a block area and do the lot regardless of type/ danger etc.  This is so you have to ask them and they can make a charge for coming out to assess it.

Another stealth tax on so called global warming. They are all jumping on the bandwagon.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:18 »
TPO's go back to at least the 1980's, I think earlier. Nothing to do with global warming.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:00:37 »
TPO's go back to at least the 1980's, I think earlier. Nothing to do with global warming.

They do now it is profitable. Lets face it how many other things that have sod all to do with global warming are manouvered to fit in.

It is a good way of making you feel guilty while emptying your wallet. I am not anti TPO or doing the green thing, but we are being ripped off once again.

pako

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 19:36:46 »
thanks every one.its actually my neighbour across the road and i think its cherry but its as tall as his house.and the roots are moving towards the house,dont know why they plant them too close to houses on these new estates dont they realise they grow!!!!!!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 22:42:01 »
When I was a kid we had a massive cherry as tall as the house ten feet from the back door. It did no harm at all, but it was always covered in aphids, and it was evidently suffering.

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 15:59:41 »
No trees are exempt from PTOs. You can cut it if it is Dead, Damaged or Dangerous but you still have to apply to your local councils tree officer for approval to cut it down, they will supply a form for you to fill in and have to respond within 8 weeks
Check out with the council has others have suggested to see if there is a TPO in force first
There are people who are exempt, utilitie companies for example

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 16:10:57 »
If it is cherry it's a swine to cut - very dense wood.  Last one we did was a disproportionate undertaking for the size of tree.  Blunted two chains on the chainsaw & needed three blokes and a tow bar to take off the lower trunk.  Lots of it still seasoning in the log store & we're a bit less keen on offering to cut them down for stove fuel - tar everywhere on the stove.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 16:44:32 »
Theres a bit here on TPO's; http://tinyurl.com/ynu6px

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal