Author Topic: Planting in the green  (Read 2147 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Planting in the green
« on: March 15, 2008, 18:55:02 »
I have had a busy day planting in the green snowdrops and bluebells.

One question and I hope the answer is no.
Should I have ensured that all the leaves are above ground ?  Or will new shoots come up ?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Planting in the green
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 19:12:26 »
You plant to the height they were in the pot. So green showing as the would if you see them in the woods.

Is that what you were trying to say? Sorry, I'm very tired :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 19:42:19 »
Don't bury them altogether, or they won't come back up. Just plant them at around the original depth.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 19:51:22 »
You plant to the height they were in the pot. So green showing as the would if you see them in the woods.

Is that what you were trying to say? Sorry, I'm very tired :-\
What I meant was you plant several bulbs together and cover with them soil.

Is it important that the leaves come up through the soil ?  I guess not because a few bulbs had lost the leaves.
I also hope not.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 20:16:52 »
As long as the bulbs are all the same depth as the ones in the green you'll be grand mate ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 20:51:39 »
As long as the bulbs are all the same depth as the ones in the green you'll be grand mate ;)

Thanks - they only are just under the ground.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 20:56:25 »
I'm amazed you've been planting bluebells 'in the green' davholla.

Whilst the snowdrops in our garden are going over, and are ready to be dug up and divided,  to be planted out 'in the green'.  The bluebells are only just poking their noses above the parapet, ie are at the very early stage of growing.

I shall have to admit, on a sunny April/May morning, when the bluebells are in full bloom, to walk out of the back of the house and breathe in the scent is fantastic.

valmarg

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 21:26:44 »
I'm amazed you've been planting bluebells 'in the green' davholla.

Whilst the snowdrops in our garden are going over, and are ready to be dug up and divided,  to be planted out 'in the green'.  The bluebells are only just poking their noses above the parapet, ie are at the very early stage of growing.

I shall have to admit, on a sunny April/May morning, when the bluebells are in full bloom, to walk out of the back of the house and breathe in the scent is fantastic.

valmarg

It is early - I hope they flower next year.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 23:32:59 »
If your bulbs have no leaves showing above ground then the chance of them flowering next year is very slim. To be honest, I've not found snowdrops planted "in the green" to do any better than dry bulbs unless they were bought as pots. The rest took at least two years to settle, and I wouldn't do it again.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 23:36:45 »
They're OK if you just split the lumps and out them straight back in. Otherwise they will suffer, at least in my experience. The one good thing is that you can be sure the plants are alive. Not all dry bulbs are.

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 23:46:00 »
All spring bulbs need at least six weeks in leaf to generate enough energy to flower next year.

For the snowdrops, the more leaves in the sun the better the chance of a repeat flowering.

For Bluebells, plant with the bulb no less than an inch below soil level. If the leaves get buried a bit, don't worry, they'll grow through, but don't bury all the leaves, they'll just rot & kill the bulb.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 08:50:21 »
All spring bulbs need at least six weeks in leaf to generate enough energy to flower next year.

For the snowdrops, the more leaves in the sun the better the chance of a repeat flowering.

For Bluebells, plant with the bulb no less than an inch below soil level. If the leaves get buried a bit, don't worry, they'll grow through, but don't bury all the leaves, they'll just rot & kill the bulb.
Bother - I better check tonight after work.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04:03 »
Thanks to the advice everyone (next time I will ask before I start).

I think that these are ok now I replanted a lot of them yesterday).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal