Author Topic: Horse manure  (Read 14893 times)

gardening-gal

• Quarter Acre
Horse manure
« on: March 11, 2008, 16:34:12 »
Apologies for creating another manure thread, but after doing a search I'm not sure whats right and what isn't please some one help :-\
  I am able to get hold of some freshish manure, Its either plain poop, scooped off the field or poop mixed with wood shavings.
 Which would be best?
I planned on just putting it onto a compost heap and leaving it
I know I should allow it to rot but is it okay to use it fresh aswell?
Also what is a hotbox I assume its just another compost bin type thing :-\
 I read briefly that someone said about not transporting manure in cars cos of nasty bugs? and read some where else that it introduces eelworm.
   Not quite sure what to do for the best now.
Can someone clarify please, THANK YOU

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Horse manure
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 17:24:58 »
++ wood shavings would be ok if you want to improve drainage

you can use it fresh if you get it now and onto land that you want it for later such as squashes, anything that likes it rich and if it's already been around for awhile then use it on the spuds

a hot box is created in a confined area to create enough heat to grow such wonders as melons, grapefruits, bananas or any produce that needs that kind of heat - the victorians made great use of them

bringing in manure will always bring in something especially weeds, go and have a look at the farm or stable it is coming from and if there are any dubious practices or you are not sure about the quality then don't use it

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 19:58:59 »
If you're just planning on keeping it in a heap then I'd get it with the shavings - the resultant compost will have a better texture.
If you want a hot bed then more poop and less shavings.
As to transporting it - any confined space is not ideal but I'm not aware of anything you can catch via breathing the fumes - handling it then not washing your hands is another matter. Thankfully I have a trailer, and access to an Andalusian Stud.

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 20:23:33 »
A guy drops off 20 bags of 'neat' horse muck at our site weekly for anyone who wants it.  I have made some pallet compost bins and layered it with house hold waste, greens and pigeon muck and within 48 hours it is cooking nicely.  I  mix the lot up after 6 to 8 weeks and move it to a new heap and mix in some more fresh mature and after the second cooking it goes on the site.

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 20:35:23 »
i have always understood that well rotted horse manure should br used only not fresh as the weathes etc has time to break it down and destroy any pests harmful disease etc it also destroyed the rhisones in the soil I have also been advised that horse manure can kill the earth from an old allotment friend and that cows chickens rabbit manure is much better to use

Lee Marshall

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 20:48:20 »
Because the horse muck is so freely available here it tends to get put onto everything in its fresh state but it must be pulling nitrogen from the soil in order to break down hence i let it rot off a bit  before using it.

It is so wet in the bags (with urine) that once it is given air its starts rotting away nicely and the pigeon muck gives it abit of a nitrogen kick. 

The guys pile the sealed bags along their lots and believe it is rotting down but when the bags are opened its as fresh as the day it was bagged (I don't argue with them you understand just do my own thing).  If they put holes in the bags it would help but its so compact that the air just cannot get into it and mixing it on the heap gives a much better result.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:27:24 »
So, would anyone consider using cow manure then? I am finding it hard to find anyone who doesn't have their horse manure spoken for, but I do know of a huge well rotten heap of cow plop, they surely wouldn't miss a little!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:06:50 »
I think we would all consider using cow manure if available but for most if us it might as well not exist. Even in the middle of London, horse manure is readily available on a free to take away basis

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:59:52 »
Cow manure has a higher water content & lower NPK values than horse manure but is still very useful. I am often offered the last couple of tons that some of the local farmers I know can't be bothered loading into their muckspreaders when they use their stockpiled manure. I have only turned it down twice in 8 years and that was only because I couldn't arrange transport.

There are some comparisons of typical moisture levels & NPK values  in different manures here.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_VH019#TABLE_1

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 19:35:56 »
Cow manure is actually better at breaking down heavy soil - If you want the sliding scale its poultry, pigs, cows, horses.  Horse manure is generally considered kinder but cow manure is better for hot beds.

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 20:22:50 »
i have an endless supply of cow manure and have got a load under some black sheeting and I'm going to use it for my spuds
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

powerspade

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 21:01:23 »
The only problem I have with horse manure is the amount of thistle seeds and other nasty weeds in it

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:18:46 »
The only problem I have with horse manure is the amount of thistle seeds and other nasty weeds in it

I think this must be down to the individual stables and their quality of care or lack of. I use horse manure heavily both to dig in and as top dressing and have very little weed problems. It does produce some interesting fungi though.

If one stables is producing rubbish manure, look for an alternative supply. There are horses and ponies everywhere and they all have difficulty getting rid of the pile.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 14:27:21 »
I have also been advised that horse manure can kill the earth

I think you will find that in some areas that are heavily populated with horses and the muck is not picked up the ground will become HORSE SICK
this is because only having horse muck on the ground reduces the type/variety of microbe in the soil that deals with breaking down the poo, also the bugs and parasites can build up, this wont happen on the lottie because you will be adding the manure to differant areas every year.

I took my plot on 2 years ago and it was like talcum powder no body or substance after adding muck over the winter I now have a loverly crumbly soil.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 15:48:26 »
I know this is a discussion about manure.  But I am a great believer in adding 'bulk' to the soil every year, so although we all have our preferences for manure be it horse, cow, or whatever you can only do your soil good by adding any bulky materials.

If you follow a rotating plan for growing each season no patch of soil would get too much of anything, so really I think one should try all kinds of things with manure be it horse, cow etc.  I always like to do a bed where I just put the manure on top which hasn't composted down and let the worms do the work for me, others I cover with manure and then put black plastic over, some have the composted down manure dug in and I always leave a bed alone for my root crops, carrots, parsnips etc.

But I do like a bit of 'bulk' :)

Sinbad

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 22:21:47 »
I have also been advised that horse manure can kill the earth

I should imagine that too much fresh manure could do that quite easily. Doubtless this was quite familiar before the horseless carriage became popular, and this is why it's normally left to rot down before it's put on the ground.

helsbels_89

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:23 »
I am another newbie and have founf a stables that will let me have horse manure for free.

This might be a silly question but how is it transported, does it come in a bag? I would then take it home in the car what is the best thing to do once at home?

I have a fairly small garden and not much space for a pile to rot?

That said is the stuff you can buy from garden centres any good? Alrady well rotted manure 3 bags fro £10??

Thanks

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 08:09:44 »
The most likely probability is that if its coming form a stables its loose in a big pile. You'll need to bag it - selecting it from where in the pile you want fresh, slightly aged, maturing, rotted, well rotted, and transport it home.

Transporting it is a closed environment - ie inside of a vehicle can be aromatic.

What you do with it when you get it home depends on why you got it in the first place.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal