Author Topic: Toying with idea of chickens...  (Read 3086 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Toying with idea of chickens...
« on: February 11, 2008, 22:23:57 »
Ok here's the deal.  I have an allotment which I was initially going to keep some chooks on, however I've been advised by most people up there that there is a very large population of foxes who have basically decimated every chicken ever kept there, so that appears to be a bad idea.

I have a garden which is currently paved onto 3 levels, there would be enough space for a moderate house and run (probably just for 2 chooks), but I'm guessing I'd have to try and dig it up and lay grass etc for them.  The other issue is I have 2 springer spaniels who can be a little boisterous on times and I'm not sure that they wouldn't cause too much stress for the birds, obviously I don't want to be cruel to chooks.

Should I try the lottie?  Is there such a thing as a fox proof coop/run?  Please bear in mind I'm only thinking about it at the moment and just at the beginning of my research   :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: Toying with idea of chickens...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:09:29 »
Posie,

Thoughts on the practicalities of keeping chickens are crossing my mind too. This site conatins a lot of useful, sensible advice on the realities of chicken keeping and the final dispatch:

http://www.downthelane.net/

PS I've just put this link in the Thrifty post too, so apologies if you've seen it already.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:01:49 »
Best to have 2 runs that you can alternate the chooks on - if they have one they will rapidly strip it and in the winter it will become a mud bath!
The only really fox-proof run is one with mesh over the top as well and dug 1 foot into the ground too.

That said, once you have the chooks you will probably become totally obsessed by them and wonder how you ever lived without them - its a very slippery slope! You will know when you are hooked as you will be sat having a drink and realise you have spent the last hour talking about them (despite your friends eyes being glazed over)!

You have problaby guessed that this has already happened to me.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:30:35 »
Hmmm, I'm thinking probably not enough room for them in the garden and as for the lottie, it still needs some work as I've only had it 6 months, so maybe I'll revisit this next year when it's in a better shape.  Thanks for the advice though!  :)

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 15:25:31 »
I'd say go for the lottie option, we have foxes on ours but with the wire dug into the ground and then at it's lowest point angled out they ain't getting in unless they bring wire cutters.

I you spend a little more on some heavier guage wire mesh then it should keep them out.

One thing I would add is someplace the chickens can hide from any fox at the wire, mine go mad when the local cats come by and all hide in the house, peeking out the window now and again.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 22:25:08 »
Yep if I do go ahead then it will definitely be the lottie.  But definitely going to leave it until next year when I can see how my crop rotation does, in case I need to adjust stuff.  Dont want to get everything in then have to move it all again!

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 13:56:08 »
Get a fox proof eglu from omlet. Expensive to start up but does last well and easy to clean.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 15:23:04 »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 15:34:13 »
Get a fox proof eglu from omlet. Expensive to start up but does last well and easy to clean.

Hi - I would be very wary of putting one of these on an allottment because they are very "nickable"  They are easily dismantled and popped in the boot of a car.

I think they are really lovely but really expensive and you can never expand your flock with them as they house 3 full stop!

With the fox proof stuff though the Eglu has a good system where it looks like a metal grid probably 12inches accross is put part inside and part outside all along the run which shoud dissuade foxes from trying to dig in as they will hit the mesh.  Quite a good idea if you want a run that you can move.

Good luck anyway - I still have to wait for mid March council meeting to decide if I can keep them on the lottie.  I will be buying a small shed or similar which will stand up to the weather but not be nickable!  (hopefully)!!

Old Bird

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 22:37:56 »
We have a small town garden, we have 4 lovely girls, all hybrids.
They live in a purple cube. It is sited under the kitchen window by the back door, ideal for watching them!, on a patio.
The slabs stop it getting wet and sticky (as we hd a problem with contaminated soil!) We use Jo pack bedding, you can also get hemcore or aubiose.
Chicken keeping is great, my favourite thing they do at the moment is a 'ninja chicken' jump out of the cube in the morning, squawking at each other and landing on each other! Who can get out first! Fun to watch  ;D
I would be a little hesitate about having one at the lottie - foxes, might get stolen, easy to feed and look after if in backgarden, and fun to watch!
Good luck, you wont know how you lived without them!
p.s. Chicken watching is a very exciting pass time!

Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 12:03:05 »
If the site is prone to foxes, a run with 7 foot high & the mesh will need to go down at least 2ft with foxes make sure you shut them in every night too. or on the cruel side and as foxes are a pest & these do gooders stopped the hunting shoot them or poisen (chemic is a good one) as its sianide based pop in some meat near the fox holes and let them eat it.

Also go to your local salon and ask for the hair sweepings put this in some old tights around the fence this will fool the fox that there is human presence
today i will be growin veg!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 12:09:41 »
CYAANIDE??? :o :o :o

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 19:58:49 »
Some of the guys at my site have been using HERAS fencing (building site security fencing) secured at each corner and dug into the ground. Keeps hoodies out, Foxes should be no worries.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 16:47:09 »
If the site is prone to foxes, a run with 7 foot high & the mesh will need to go down at least 2ft with foxes make sure you shut them in every night too. or on the cruel side and as foxes are a pest & these do gooders stopped the hunting shoot them or poisen (chemic is a good one) as its sianide based pop in some meat near the fox holes and let them eat it.

Hi Good Life - You have raised my gander! 

I am one of the "do gooders" who was  for the banning of hunting.  I am totally against any cruelty to any animal be it a tame rabbit or a predator fox.

You will know that hunting continues in its previous form and so far the hunts have got away with their cruelty!  It is a matter of time before a few more prosecutions bring hunting under proper control!

Using arsenic to kill a fox is a disgusting thing to suggest.  I hope that no children, dogs, cats birds or other wild animals  that you or your neighbours own would come into contact with it.  What a totally irresponsible suggestion you make.

I hope that no one takes your suggestion seriously.  If you want to keep chickens you make sure that foxes can't get to your chooks.

Old Bird :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal