Author Topic: What a find!! I love my overgrown plot  (Read 969 times)

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
What a find!! I love my overgrown plot
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:58:11 »
As some of you will be aware I recently took over plot 69 on Quarry Road, Preston on Tees, which was very overgrown.

I've spent the past few weeks clearing away as best I could on weekends and calling down on my way home from work.

Well last night I called in for an hour or so as usual and headed up to the back of the plot which I have not given much attention.
As I chopping away I spotted a familiar white flower and set of leaves. On closer inspection I found a loads of strawberry plants all growing strong at the bottom of my plot which I had already planned to plant my soft fruit there! Epic Win!  ;D

If I don't manage to get the plot cleared and stuff planted this season at least I can now look forward to picking something this summer  ;D :D ;D

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: What a find!! I love my overgrown plot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:54 »
Same happened to me.  While clearing my overgrown plot, I saw what looked like a strawberry leaf.  I thought, if there's one there must be more so went looking among the couch and brambles and nettles and found around 40 little crowns.  Had no space cleared for them so packed them into a couple of seed trays and put a little soil on top.  They grew away in the trays and flowered too.  For the next growing season I cleared a bed and planted them out as matted rows.  Last season I got the first real crop - and it was a bumper one.  The added bonus is that they seem to be a perpetual variety so I got a second flush of fruit - picked the last fruit in November!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:25:35 »
How exciting!

Gives you a bit of a boost when you are flagging and tired to think that, as you say, you will have something from the plot!!

Hope you enjoy them with clotted cream!!

Old Bird ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:59:09 »
See how they do. They may well be fine, but I inherited strawberries and raspberries that never produced anything worth mentioning. Eventually I worked out that they had to have viruses, but it took a few years to get that far. If they don't produce, root them out and start again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal