Author Topic: solomon@s seal  (Read 1657 times)

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
solomon@s seal
« on: July 15, 2004, 15:49:26 »
Just discovered that there is hardly any leaf on my Solomon's Seal.The few leaves left are covered in black larvae.There are many of them.
Looking at my gardening book, the Soloman Seal Sawfly is mentioned,but no treatment suggested.
I try not to use pesticides, and i dont like killing things.Can i leave them or will they attack other plants?
Any suggestions
Cheers
Anne

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:solomon@s seal
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 19:36:47 »
The sawflies will only attack Polygonatum species like x hybridum (solomon's seal). They do not move on to other plants. Your plants should recover, give them a dose of nitrogen fertiliser, like Maxicrop to help them grow new leaves. The only treatment in future is to watch out for the larva of the sawflies and to hand pick them before they do so much damage. That I know is easier said than done. We have the same problem with Gooseberry sawfly and so far it has not killed the plants nor reduced the crop too much.
Gardening is the great leveller.

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:solomon@s seal
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 20:38:30 »
Thanks for the reply, the sight of so many beasties did unnerve me a bit.
I went back to look at them and realised that they had done no damage to any of the shrubs roundabout.The seal is under a Yew tree.Over the years i had noticed that they had been reduced to a skeletal form but had not been unduly concerned as it happened after they finished flowering.I also had never seen the culprits before.
I will take your advice and feed the plants.The destroying of the larvae, is not going to be easy.There are so many, and i am a bit squeamish, but i will try.thanks again Anne

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal