Author Topic: wirey seedlings  (Read 1192 times)

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
wirey seedlings
« on: March 03, 2008, 20:40:44 »
Help  ??? ??? ???
I have had a box of seeds and waited patiently checking every week to see if I could sow them. Finally the day came where I had the chance to sow Brocolli, Cauliflour and Cabbage.
Taking my shiney new propogator (non-heated) I carefully prepared my seeds etc. After only a few days the seedlings started coming through - wow every one germinated ;D
BUT then they went mad and grew so fast they reached the top of my propogator in days. the first leaves opened but the stems were easily 2" long. They then fell over :-[ :-[

What am I doing wrong?
When am I supposed to pot them on?
When do I put them outside?
 :-\ :-\

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: wirey seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 20:44:01 »
Start again.

When they show through, remove from heat. Keep cool and out of direct sun. Remove the lid. Back off with watering.

donlottie

• Half Acre
  • Stinging nettles as far as the eye can see!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 20:51:41 »
thanks got loads of seeds to go at. But removing them from light wont that make them go leggy as well?

Mine were sat on the window cill. I opened the vents on a night time ( probably wrong but my thinking was that nights are colder than days?). Basically I have also had this problem even with flowers. Didn't water too much either

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 14:29:36 »
But removing them from light wont that make them go leggy as well?

KK didn't mean take them out of the light as such he meant keep them out of direct sunlight.

The sun shining through glass can be a bit like a magnifying glass and it could scorch/fry your plants.

Mine were sat on the window cill. I opened the vents on a night time

You got that the wrong way around open them during the day close at night. A window cill can get quite cool at night, try putting your hand on the window glass and you will see what I mean.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal