Author Topic: clematis help  (Read 4119 times)

laura G

• Quarter Acre
clematis help
« on: March 03, 2008, 18:54:37 »
Hi all,
 I have some clematis in (small) pots in my cold greenhouse that i got from a magazine freebie last year, i thought that they were dead but in the past few weeks they have started to sprout again, I was wondering when they can go outside, i really don't want to kill them all over again.
they are (if i have labelled them right) General Sikorsky, Warsaw Nike and Dr Ruppel

any help much appreciated!!
Laura

springbok

• Hectare
Re: clematis help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 18:56:27 »
I bought 2 clematis's a fortnight ago.  They were sprouting, and all the sprouts have died, I think I have killed mine off by planting it out  :'(

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
  • Holder of the national collection of weeds!!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 19:09:24 »
Just bought 9 plants on Sat but the nursery had them in a polytunnel.  I have put them into my cold greenhouse and will harden them off gently, but, the weather has suddenly gone really cold again.  We've had sleet this afternoon, so I shall leave it until next week.  I'm keen to get things out and growing but don't want to lose them through my impatience. 

laura G

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 19:21:37 »
it would seem i should wait then
thanx

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 19:23:23 »
Have I killed mine off then, or could they still have a chance.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 22:31:04 »
Give them a chance....it might just be the new growth that got hit. If it gets very cold give a bit of fleece covering
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:42:27 »
I would recomend growing the plants on for as long as possible before you plant them out, ideally to the sort of size you would buy them at in the garden centre. This way they should be strong enough to survive all that the weather and pests can throw at them.

Some years ago i had a similar collection of clematis from a magazine offer. I planted some out when they were still very small and lost them. The rest i grew on before planting out and they are thriving to this day.

Water them well, feed and pot on when they out grow their pots , and they should be ready in about a years time.

Hope this helps

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:49:58 »
....and make sure to shade around the base of the plant. Clematis don't like sun on their root area.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 22:59:09 »
A garden hint that helped our clematis was, when planting it out, sink a bottomless pot around it. That protects the delicate stems and is a reminder that the twig-like something is not a weed.

Our clematis that is doing the best is near a rain downspout. It is mulched with gravel and gets plenty of water every time it rains. but is also in well-drained soil.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 23:04:57 by GrannieAnnie »
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 23:19:06 »
My favourite clematis is Nelly Moser,it has such a cheerful flower.I bought one years ago from the old kwik save and it did really well.I planted it around the entrance to the flat where I used to live and everyone commented on it going in and out of the building.I passed that way a few months ago and had to go and have a look to see if it was still there and yes it was.Nice to leave your mark on a place.Anybody else got a favourite
Clematis?

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 09:58:15 »
My favourite clematis is Nelly Moser,it has such a cheerful flower.I bought one years ago from the old kwik save and it did really well.I planted it around the entrance to the flat where I used to live and everyone commented on it going in and out of the building.I passed that way a few months ago and had to go and have a look to see if it was still there and yes it was.Nice to leave your mark on a place.Anybody else got a favourite
Clematis?

I have a 'Nelly Moser' too. It was the first clematis i planted in my current garden. Despite being planted in a very narrow and shallow bed in full sun it has done really well. Last year its second flush of flowers lasted well into autumn. It is also a good indicator of our changing climate. It used to flower at the end of may and into early june, nowadays it comes into flower in the middle of may if not a bit earlier.

Another favorite is the late flowering Clematis tangutica (or its cultivar Bill Mckenzie). It has attractive yellow flowers which are produced over a long period, followed by attractive seed heads which look good right into autumn and early winter. We had one in the garden i grew up in and just had to have one in the current garden too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:01:49 by Garden Apprentice »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:52 »
I've been told to plant them deeper than they were in the pot, that way, if they get wilt, they have more chance of growing back  :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 16:48:40 »
Clematis?

I have a 'Nelly Moser' too. It was the first clematis i planted in my current garden. Despite being planted in a very narrow and shallow bed in full sun it has done really well. Last year its second flush of flowers lasted well into autumn. It is also a good indicator of our changing climate. It used to flower at the end of may and into early june, nowadays it comes into flower in the middle of may if not a bit earlier.

Another favorite is the late flowering Clematis tangutica (or its cultivar Bill Mckenzie). It has attractive yellow flowers which are produced over a long period, followed by attractive seed heads which look good right into autumn and early winter. We had one in the garden i grew up in and just had to have one in the current garden too.

Tangutica is a favourite of mine, I also have that blousey old tart  Nelly Moser. Frowned on by 'designers' but I find it very cheerful.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 17:34:41 »
We've just bought some Snowbell but haven't planted it in yet. Not much danger of the roots getting overheated!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 20:36:53 »
Clematis?

Tangutica is a favourite of mine, I also have that blousey old tart  Nelly Moser. Frowned on by 'designers' but I find it very cheerful.
What is it with "designers"?  Such plant snobbery directed at the beautiful Nelly who is both dependable and lovely. Who could ask for more?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 00:12:46 »
I totally agree, but most of my work is designer based, nothing wrong with nelly, but she is a bugger to try and fit in with other plants for a 'designed' area. For all the rest of us who love the country garden effect she is ideal.

We have to go along with a client brief, most of them have an idea they have seen in a posh magazine, I do my hardest to re-educate the 'money' and if I could sneak nelly in I would do. But I am afaid she will never grace the pages of Home and Garden. Unless I get famous, then watch out!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 02:07:13 »
We'll be rooting for you, ACE. Stylized gardens have their place (I guess) but, after the first visual impact wears off they just don't seem as comfortable, lively and interesting as a country garden.  My 2 cents.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 07:34:40 »
My favourite is the one I am looking at. We grow over 100 so choosing a fav is hard. I really like Nigritjanka though. We have not got Nelly Moser though.
When planting climbing clematis plant about3 to 6 inches deeper than in the pot (bury the stems up to the first leaf joint at least) Wilt is not that common, but this helps the plant develop more stems.
Do NOT put a slate or a tile or stones round the roots for shade. Molluscs are Clems worst enemies and they love these hiding places. Better use mulch or gravel.
Most wilt is more likely snail damage as they love to strip the bark from the stem at the base of the plant.
If you suspect wilt let me know the symptoms and I can tell you if it is or not, from how the plant stem 'wilts'.
Gardening is the great leveller.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:46:24 »
Palustris, how do you keep up with over 100???! :D It must be a happy task as they're such a beautiful vine. We have Lanuginosa Candida which blooms mid-June and then a smaller flush in the Fall into Oct., big white blooms but they tend to get brownish petal tips. What am I doing wrong that it gets slightly bruised looking? I keep it well watered, well fertilized in well-drained soil. I'd like to get a tall arbor climbing, large-flowered clematis that blooms repeatedly. Any suggestions?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 19:10:03 »
Not a problem mentioned in any of my books on Clematis and not one we have come across. Do not have that particu;are Clematis either. Sorry. Best way to choose a Clem is to go to this site and enter wah tyou want in terms of colour; flower size; time of flowering etc and see what comes up.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/
Also
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/iclsframe.cfm?page=page92
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 19:15:38 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal