Author Topic: Standard Fuchsia  (Read 5860 times)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Standard Fuchsia
« on: July 14, 2004, 17:45:20 »
I have now got my standard Fuchsia to the height i require.I know what to do with the top now.But at what stage do i remove the leaves that are on the main stem?is it now?Help please!!!
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Kerry

• Hectare
Re:Standard Fuchsia
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 17:59:37 »
hi BB :)
standard fuschias-aha! my mum's an avid fuschia collecter, so better reply to this!
do you mean the potential 'branches' off the main upright that you won't be using for the top 'mophead'? If so, take them all off as it grows up, its' energy then goes into producing the top parts that you do want to keep. :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 18:10:19 »
If you have 'pinched out' the growing tips from the stem/leaf joint then you should be left with a leaf.  I usually leave them until the head is a bit established and then just pinch them off along with any newly forming growing tips... Quite often they just fall off themselves
  What variety have you used BB?  Im in the middle of growing a ' Barbara' as a standard.  Only up to 2 ft right now so should be ready to set a head soon.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 18:35:19 »
Hi Mimi !Thats exactly what i wanted to know .Thanks.I did Barbara last year and just one survived the Winter even in the Greenhouse.This year i am doing one called Orange Mirage.Couldn't for the life in me remember  about the leaves.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 19:41:24 »
Ooh!  Hope you are both goiing to post piccies!  Love standards and grew one myself once.  However, Lavendar done in same way died!  Think it was me not growing power  :o
Muddy Boots

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:59:06 »
CAn anyone recommend a low growing fuschia. Hubby wants me to fdig a circular bed from our front lawn so anything that grows too tall will look silly!
Helen

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 14:08:04 »
Helen, Why not have a circular bed with a standard in the middle to give it a bit of hight and not leave it totally flat.  Tom Thumb and Mrs Thumb are very small fuschias.  

jax

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 14:45:43 »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where or whether I could get a standard hardy fushia?  My mum wants one and I only know the tender ones.
(She's not one for training it herself)

Thanks

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 14:58:05 »
Jax.

Found this link on Google, it may help!

www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/uk.html

Good luck  ;D
Muddy Boots

jax

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 15:44:06 »
Thanks very much.  Will go seek.  :)

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 15:47:22 »
Thanks for the suggestion, Mimi. I thought that a smaller Fuschia might look more in keeping as the lawn slopes about 45 degrees. Anything that is quite tall might look a bit silly!
Helen ;D ::)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 16:44:38 »
Thought you might like to see this standard fuchsia that I grew from a tip cutting BB.  

Kerry this is a hardy one which grows as a bush in the garden but I keep it in a pot and keep it in the greenhouse over winter just to be on the safe side as although the roots would be ok I think the main trunk would be killed off by the cold unless it was really protected.  I think this variety may be called 'Phyllis'.

Helen, this is my Tom Thumb which I have growing on the rockery around my pond
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 20:39:49 »
Beautiful fuchsias  Pat.  I love the little mushroom man :D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 09:04:16 »
Nice ones Pat .If i get this anything like i may bring it inside for the Winter as i dont seem to have much luck overwintering them in the Greenhouse.I haven't done this particular one as a standard before though.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 09:19:54 »
Jax, I dont know where you would get one from, but I believe that 'Mrs Popple' makes a very good hardy standard fuchsia. :D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 09:31:41 »
I have a lovely Mrs. Popple in my garden Mimi, it certainly is a good self branching variety.

Jax, you don't say whereabouts you live - if in the UK I could send you some cuttings from mine to have a go at if you have difficulty finding one.  They are dead easy to grow from cuttings as you can see from my standard.  If you are interested PM me your addi and I will send you some.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal