Author Topic: Manure, Blood and Bone, Growmore  (Read 18703 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Manure, Blood and Bone, Growmore
« on: March 02, 2008, 17:24:21 »
I have been kindly given Manure (bagged for nursery), Blood and bone and Growmore.

I am completly confused with what fertilizer does what.  Can anyone please explain to me which to use where etc.
Thank you kindly :)

x

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Manure, Blood and Bone, Growmore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 20:24:54 »
Growmore is a general fertilizer, usually applied a week before sowing or planting out. It can also be used to give a general boost at any time in the growing season.

Manure contains less nutrients, but is bulky and therefore improves the texture and adds to the humus layer of soil. Usually dug in to soil in Autumn and left overwinter, or spread on to the surface of the soil and let worms do the work for you. Avoid manuring where you are going to have root veg, apparently makes them more likely to 'fork'. Manure is also slightly acidic, so loved by potatoes, loathed by brassicas.

Blood fish and bone are fertilisers made from animal products as it sounds! Not as quick acting as Growmore, so suitable for a more slow release feed. Can be applied when planting fruit, or used as a general fertiliser like Growmore. Make sure you wear gloves and do not inhale the dust when using these, very small theoretical risk of CJD from bonemeal...

That's the general info on these, I'm sure other peeps can provide more scientific info if you need it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 20:32:05 »
Crumbs! DebP....That was good stuff.

I'll add a tiny bit to it and await further input!
 Don't put your onions into/onto newly manured soil.

Next.....!

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 21:13:01 »
Can you use Manure, fish blood, bone and growmore together?

i have prepaird one bed with FB&B can i also put on growmore when I plant

I bet you guessed Im confused
Frank n Lynn

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 22:09:19 »
Thank you so much, that bit of info is printed off and in my book :)

I was really confused what could have what before :)
thanks again
x

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 22:26:49 »
If you are trying to be organic springbokgirlie just be careful as Growmore general fertiliser isn't organic and I also believe that blood, fish and bone is not necessarilly organic.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 22:29:58 »
I want to grow veg as organic as possible.  I was given all these by a friend who works in a nursery.

I already fed growmore to my garlic today :(

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 22:37:06 »
Probably best to check the bags to be sure. If they are organic [and you can get organic growmore] then it usually says it on the bags.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 16:07:06 »
Growmore;

Growmore is basically a balanced slow release fertiliser and has been around for about sixty years. It was invented/produced by ICI as a cheap fertilser during the 'Dig for Victory' campaign in WW2

I can remember it before it was called 'Growmore' it was sold under an ICI code number.

This subject was discussed a few weeks ago and this was my reply;

Fish blood & bone;It is time enough to put out Fish blood & bone a few days before planting to do so before is a bit of a waste. (In my humble opinion)

To explain;

The 'fish' part is primarily  phosphate which is required for a good root system so if you have no roots in what are you feeding?.............quite possibly foxes as has been mentioned.

The 'blood' is primarily nitrogen and a fast release one at that.

To put in too early again seems to me a waste, as it will quite possibly have dissipated before you have even planted your seedlings.

The bone is a slow release potash feed so it is not really required until the plant is maturing so again if it goes in too early it will all have gone by the time it is need.

I just thought this might give you some idea as to how FB&B works in case you did not know.

There is more on fertilisers here; http://tinyurl.com/2cwym3

Seems rather a waste to me, apart from the manure they all do the same thing so the tendency could be to 'overfeed' which can be worse than not feeding at all.

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 18:48:43 »
Thanks Tee Gee

So to recap I should put som Fish, Blood & bone on at the time that I plant. and nout elce.

Frank n Lynn

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 19:17:49 »
Growmore;

Seems rather a waste to me, apart from the manure they all do the same thing so the tendency could be to 'overfeed' which can be worse than not feeding at all.

How often this sound advice is disregarded!

Ken.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 14:47:35 »
So to recap I should put som Fish, Blood & bone on at the time that I plant. and nout elce.

Yes! at the manufacturers recommended spreading rates.

A tip;  re-spreading fertiliser.

Find yourself a container for measuring out the fertiliser, a metal cup is ideal.

Weigh out two onces, three ounce, four ounce as the case may be and mark your cup with a felt pen at each level.

Mark out a square yard on your plot and spread the required amount.

Once you have done this look at the density of  the fertiliser on the soil and remember what it looked like it.

Once you have remembered that you will never have to do any weighing or measuring again. I have never weighed anything for over twenty years.

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 16:41:22 »
Exelent Tee Gee Exelent Thx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal