Author Topic: NOT IMPRESSED with propagator  (Read 4080 times)

floraldi

• Half Acre
NOT IMPRESSED with propagator
« on: April 05, 2008, 14:46:55 »
My daughter bought me a propagator with seven sections that fit into a base.   I even bought special seed sowing compost but all in all I  have decided that my old method was better i.e. sowing seeds in small pots in cheap compost and putting the pot into a polythene bag in a warmish place. (Got a horrible feeling I have written this already somewhere else!).

This year so far I have managed to germinate some special small tomatoes - "Olive.... something but am struggling with the ones I really want i.e. Sungold and Ailsa Craig.  Must be patient!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: NOT IMPRESSED with propagator
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 15:27:22 »
can't remember the last time I bought a propagator as just about any old pot or tray will suffice. I save all the clear fruit containers from the supermarket, they even have ready made drainage holes in them - so easy to spend money on nothing but I'm sure your daughter was thinking it would be a lovely present and it will be useful somewhere  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 15:47:33 »
My daughter bought me a propagator

Was it a heated one?

If not this is probably why you say you got better results in a warmish place.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 16:06:19 »
I think its the one with 7 1/4 size seed trays with lids ??
I love mine and use it more than my big unit.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 17:57:35 »
The AGA does much of ours!

jo9919

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 21:59:18 »
I have 2 of the heated ones with 1/4 sized trays. I love them.

I can get just about anything to germinate in them (except Sweet Peas, but that's another story!!!).

Jo.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 23:03:54 »
I have a super7 as well. Germinated my leeks/onions in early Feb when I wouldn't have otherwise done so. Using it currently for all my tomatoes/peppers/cucurbrits.
Still use margerine tubs and a sheet of glass for other seeds but then they're sown later when the greenhouse is (theoretically) warmer.

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:43:32 »
I have a heated propagator and 3 unheated ones. I have yet to get anything to germinate in the heated one! Everything I have grown this year has been in my 3 unheated ones.

I find that the electric one dries out the compost far too quickly or it mists the full thing up resulting in cotton wooly type moult developing on the compost. I just cant seem to find a happy medium.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Do you put your seeds in individual pots and then into the propagator or do you fill the prop with compost and then plant directly? If you do the latter, do you think putting in a moisture retaining layer on the bottom before filling it up will work better?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 13:22:57 »
I find that the electric one dries out the compost far too quickly

Sounds like it is set too high!

it mists the full thing up resulting in cotton wooly type moult developing on the compost.

This sounds like they are too wet

I just cant seem to find a happy medium.

Try putting a piece of capillary matting in the base of the propagator and always keep it moist. This should eliminate the need to re-water the containers after its initial soaking.

If you find you have to re-water use a hand spray/mister with a little fungicide in the water and this should keep the mould away.

To check your temperature buy a soil thermometer (see picture) to check the compost temperature then adjust the the heating control accordingly.

Do you put your seeds in individual pots and then into the propagator or do you fill the prop with compost and then plant directly?

Individual containers for me as this caters better for varying germination times

Showing soil thermometer;

Individual containers;

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 13:27:41 »
I put a layer of damp sand in the bottom, this acts as a heat store and helps to spread the heat more evenly.
I tamp down compost in seed tray, then water seed tray THOROUGHLY. sow seed, cover with vermiculite, mist vermiculite, put in propagator, that's it!!
when seed lings show, open vents, this should stop mould problems
rgds, tony
You couldn't make it up!

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 13:56:47 »
thanks for the input guys.

My propagator does not have temperature control :o( did not splash out that much. I've since thought about plugging it into a timer so the heat is only turned on during certain hours to try and control the heat.

I like the idea of the thermometer. As simple an idea as it is, I didn't even think about it! dope!

I'll have another go and see how we get on this time around. Failing that I think I'll be investing in one with temp control.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 16:07:59 »
Love my propagator and it doesn't have heat control, but does have vents in the lids which I always leave half open. Also don't water, only mist compost. Everything I've put in has germinated (apart from tomato sub arctic, oddly - must have been dud batch as six other toms did). As soon as they show, I take off the lids and move the bases onto a long tray on the windowsill so they grow on with no heat.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal