Author Topic: What is the best thing to do with root crown perenials?  (Read 1121 times)

cocopops

• Acre
What is the best thing to do with root crown perenials?
« on: February 29, 2008, 17:03:34 »
I visited by local Netto yesterday (Brittany, France) and bought a total of 36 plants for a cost of approximately £9.00.  They are currently in plastic containers similar to those used in the UK for thinnly sliced cold meats.  They within a plastic bag with a small amount of soil.

We are still having frosts here, and with two digger puppies, it does not seem a good idea to plant them outside at this time.  I have also purchased a plastic greenhouse (bargain price of £37.00).  Should I pot the plants into the type of pot that I can then put into the soil (brown cardboard type thing,sorry forgot the name) of which I have lots, or else larger plant pots?  How long would I need to keep them inside?  Will I able to plant them outside this year,or should I keep them in pots for the first year?

They are:-
3 x Geranium 'Album'
2 x Astilbe 'Spirea'
3 x Saponaria Ocymoiles - Tumbling Ted
3 x Kniphofia 'Royal Standard'
2 x Alchemilla mollis - Lady's Mantle
3 x Gyscphila 'Bristol Fairy'
2 x xphlox 'Flyijama'
5 x Liatris spicata
10 x Commelira coelestis - Dayflower
3 x Heliopsis scabra - Summer Sun

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: What is the best thing to do with root crown perenials?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 17:38:01 »
I'm not an expert, but most of those sound like hardy perennials to me (check in a book or online), in which case you should be able to put them straight into the ground in spring. Maybe add some compost and some kind of mulch to keep them warm.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What is the best thing to do with root crown perenials?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 19:03:35 »
The ones I know are all hardy perennials. Knowing supermarket plants, I suggest you mollycoddle them in plant pots in the greenhouse until they're growing well. Give them pots big enough to give the roots plenty of room, and a decent compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal