Author Topic: Best boy names?  (Read 7639 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Best boy names?
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:20:16 »
Well, we have 5 weeks to go until the boy with no name is born. And we're still stuck for names... I wasn't allowed Dylan. Apparently it's not cool to name your kid after your favourite musician.

I asked for help on Facebook and friends suggestions are below. I have some very funny but essentially unhelpful friends! So, anyone have a favourite name that's not silly & not the same as everyone else?!?!

Louise says:
Chop

Theo says:
Jr.?
Son?
Widget?
Hot Black Desiato?
Conquestro the Destroyer of Worlds?

Now that last one's going to go down really well when the teachers call the register. I'm thinking that's the one to pick."

Katherine says:
I have friends who have just called their newborn Ossian. It was going to be Sorley, but after calling it that for a few days they decided that it didn't sound that great. Dave, my boyfriend, pointed out that it sounded like Soil-ey. Think that given the deluge of nappies this may have put them off. They're a bit Celtic Fringe. Having said that, I think that Somerled - as in the Lords of the Isles - is a great name. But do realise that it's not for everybody...

Bob will be simple for him to spell.

Lesley:
So baby names huh? I really love the name Edward or perhaps Henry (but that sounds odd with ****ie). More weird offerings from me would be Ivo or Jolyon - but they generally get laughed at."

Mary wrote on your Wall:

"peyton? miles? landon? maxigan?
or maybe add some punctuation. ad'm? mich-ael? marr...tin?
i'm sorry. i think our family has used up all of the normal boy's names"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Best boy names?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:37 »
Difficult. I sympathise with choosing boys names as we found it really difficult. Our son was actually unamed for 5 days after birth because OH and I could not agree! He liked a lot of unusual Celtic and some just plain weird names, we tried the making a list each idea then went through and crossed just about all each others suggested names out! A few I remember from our list.....

Otis
Lucas
Finn
Ulrich
Otto
Miles
Rufus

The only thing I would say is choose a name that sounds the same as it is spelt....otherwise the poor kid will spend his whole life explaining how it is spelt....... ;D

I see you have some Douglas Adams fans amongst your Facebook mates... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:40:26 »
I like old names my son is called Samuel.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:14:25 »
Give him something that doesn't sound silly with your surname. Don't make it a joke I remember a Justin Casewell in a class at Uni when I was a teaching assitant, but there was another guy who felt his name was such a joke that he killed himself and left a note blaming his parents!

Choose a name that he can shorten and personalise when he's older, my son Iain is a bit peeved he can't do this when his brother Timothy can. Look at the list of top names and avoid the first 15 get him something a bit more unique....my son's go to a school of nearly 2000 and there are no other Iain's and only two other Tim's and they both like that.

Don't chose a silly name for a boy e.g. my niece called her son Jayden and I keep forgetting he's a boy!

If you like Bob Dylan there is always Robert or Allen...I quite like Dylan as a name though when shortened it's not so good.
I've got brother's called Gilbert, Roger and Valentine
Nephews called Francis, Dougal, Gerald, Campbell, Adrian and Aaron
and on my ex husbands side Dylan!
also some great nephews Abraham, Ethan and as I said before Jayden
I don't really recommend any of those I didn't choose them!
My son's second names are James and Christopher.....my younger son's name doesn't fit on forms....something else to consider!

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:58:54 »
My favs are Isaac, Lucas and Jack    :)

Good luck when the time comes  ;)

Sandra x

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:02:35 »
Have a glance through the A4A names. There's some real crackers in there... :D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:41 »
Dunno about names, but as a family history searcher, I love it when people keep a family name going & add an unusual second name.  Makes them easy to find in the records!  ( although why I have a couple of Glassford Curries in the family is a complete mystery)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:35:42 »
personally i love the name Ben or Benjamin, but do take on board the bit about going with your surname my sister knows a Scott Stukk, and i went to school with a Tina Turner, not the Tina Turner Im not that old  :o :o, i think you will know the name when you see the little fella  ;D good luck a very difficult job

my daughter is called Kimberley (i do like Kim for a boy too) and we thought someone would think it a late decision cos it said Kimberly Clark on the toilet roll holder lol (however her dad named her after a character in a film, a teenage ptostitute !!!! :o :o ::)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:33 »
don't make the mistake this couple made

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article95505.ece

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:21 »

I like Oliver

After mishearing the new baby's name at our allotments, he heard 'Nettle', (Should have been Nell), OH thinks that 'couch grass' would be a good name!

Thank goodness I'm not expecting yet!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 12:34:42 »
I like the name Isaac, also.  How about Sebastian, Charles, Ashley, Michael, Oliver (is your name Oliver?  Maybe not then, lol) Edward, Gerard (pronouced Jared) Good luck with your search and LOLOL @ Conquestro the Destroyer of Worlds!!!  ;D ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 13:16:59 »
Some names are OK when ya get older, but just imagine holding a beautiful baby in ya arms and saying......." Arthur..... l'm ya dad". ::)

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 13:29:18 »
i like Harry and Charlie, but my mum always tells me you should name them Henry or Charles so they have a choice when they're older. i spose i can see her point, charlie is nice for a baby or a kid, but what if he grows up to be a lawyer etc etc? charles would be more suitable... i think that's her point anyway :s

you could go with oliver, ollie jr that's be great :) how posh! haha.

proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 13:45:28 »
I knew some one called Emma who married a man with the surname Royd  :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 13:46:34 »
I like Jack

My sons partner is German, and he wants to call his son, if he gets one, Wolfgang, as it will be 'cool' to shorten it to Wolf ::)

cj :)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 14:24:26 »
it took us about two weeks to name our first son Joshua so when number two was in utero we put up a notice in our kitchen inviting suggestions for names.  from this we found our next sons name Bramwell (shortened to Bram) which we knew was the name for him within an hour of his birth. 

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 15:00:33 »
Dunno about names, but as a family history searcher, I love it when people keep a family name going & add an unusual second name.  Makes them easy to find in the records!  ( although why I have a couple of Glassford Curries in the family is a complete mystery)

Yes I have an ancestor with the name 'Chicken' as a second name I assume it's come from a surname being included in the forename.

It can be a bit of a pain for girls, they can start off with a perfectly innocent name which on marriage can become a problem.

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 15:20:32 »
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 15:21:25 »
We chose classic names for our three that would fit in with what ever they did or where ever they went  - if that makes sense.
Also check what the initials will spell - my father was a clergyman and had to point out to one couple who wanted their child christened, that the baby's initials spelt P I G! He also was asked to christen a little girl called Daphne Rose Bush!

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 15:44:03 »
I named my baby boy George, and love it :) :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal