Author Topic: Lost her today!  (Read 2254 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Lost her today!
« on: February 24, 2008, 21:28:00 »
         Today was always going to be a hard one for a nervous kitten, unused to a houseful of small children. Three of our grandchildren were visiting today. Typically the weather was not clement so they spent most of the time indoors. They are very good and played nicely. However, Moppet was not at all happy and spent the day hiding in various places. She was behind the curtain on the front window, then behind the curtain in the back window. She hid under the covers on the settee, then moved to under the chair and finally behind the T.V. None of these were really suitable in her eyes.
         The children were being careful not to open the kitchen door and the outside door at the same time so that she could not escape to the great outdoors before she is ready for it.
          Hannibal and Twiggy came in and went out and came in and went out and came in. The settled down on the settee and slept. Moppet sat huddled in a corner of the kitchen as the dishes were being washed after lunch. She looked really frightened. She is going to have to get used to it though, we have a lot of grandchildren! My wife had to go to the Shed for something. When she came back, Moppet was no where in sight.
          Everyone denied having opened any door, but well, you never know. We turned the house upside down. She has been known to go upstairs and hide under the beds. We scoured the house, absolutely no sight nor sound of her.
         Despite the protestations that both doors had not been open at the same time we searched the garden. But, as you know our garden is a large area She could have hidden anywhere.
          The time came for the visitors to go home. Still no sign of Moppet. We had visions of ringing the Vet tomorrow to cancel her appointment because "We have lost her!" Imagine the embarrassment! We waved the family off and came back inside. As we closed the back door we heard a familiar squeak from inside the kitchen, not upstairs. We opened the door, no Moppet, well, not immediately. 
           Puzzled I closed the kitchen door. Then I found her. She had climbed into the peg bag which is hanging on the back of the kitchen door and slept there for the afternoon. We must have gone in and out of that door 30 times without her making a noise. Very clever though, but what a relief!
          Here she is getting out.
Gardening is the great leveller.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Lost her today!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 21:36:27 »
What a clever cat.........a great refuge. :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 21:39:35 »
Thank goodness you found her! We have a similar problem when we have visiting dogs. Many's the evening when I've been outside rattling the biscuit tin only to find Ellapuss sitting behind me  looking up as if to say she thinks I've gone mad ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 21:54:00 »
When you've been calling them for ages, they turn up with that expression on their faces that says "What's the problem, I've been here all the time"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 22:34:20 »
Eric. Reading your post and feeling quite sad until I read the BEST bit. So glad she is safe.
Lorna

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 22:47:01 »
Oh how blooming wonderful, and what a relief when you hear that first cry. I am soooo happy for you. Why do we keep them LOL . God Bless Kittens XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 23:11:11 »
Phew......but what a clever kitten!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 00:58:58 »
She really aint daft is she. Bless her...........you should have called her Peggy!!

Seriously, Im pleased she is safe. You will have both been in a right old panic till you found her.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:34:46 »
So glad this had a happy ending! Reading this reminded me of when we first adopted Archie and Max, the very first day they were with us, Archie crashed through the catflap (it was locked going out!) and disappeared for 3 months! I had to phone their previous owner and confess in case he went back to her  :-[ :-[ :-[ She did say he ran off for a few days when she moved and first let him out, so he obviously does not cope well with change poor chap! We saw neither hide nor hair of him until the winter, when he went to our next door neighbours house on the scrounge....she came and got us, we went and got him, and he has been with us ever since! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 13:39:13 »
I was getting goose-bumps as I read the story, but what a relief to find her in the end! :D
Kathi :-)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 16:22:14 »
Hurrah, the Vet says that she can go out.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 18:30:15 »
I love a happy ending!  But it must have been really uncomfortable in a peg bag!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal