Author Topic: Dumb Question I guess :D  (Read 896 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Dumb Question I guess :D
« on: February 27, 2008, 19:28:06 »
Casey lee has kindly sent me some Gem squash seeds.

However, as I do not want to lose these I would love any advice on the best way to grow squash.

When do I plant?
Where should I plant out? ie:  Greenhouse, or do like shade, or full sun
What kind of soil do squashes like etc etc

Appreciate any advice please.
thank you :D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Dumb Question I guess :D
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 19:39:49 »
i plant my seeds at the beginning of april in the greenhouse and the put them in the lottie at the end of may but keep them covered with fleece to keep any late frosts off them, they will need potting on again before they go outside,they are very greedy plants and i plant mine right on the edge of my manure heap so they get lots of feed, i then just let them meander down the edge of the allotment.

When planting the seeds in compost, because they are so wide they tent to rot it the compost is too wet so i plant them upright so any excess moisture drains away instead of sitting on top of the seed and find this works quite well.

Im still using the squash that i grew last year.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 16:25:55 »
I have planted my gemsquash inside close to heat, cause they are used to the SA weather.  One has come up already but as the stem gets thicker it can then be moved to the cold greenhouse, about a month or so

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 16:46:31 »
Hi all,
         I would suggest that it is far too early to sow squash/pumpkins yet. They do not need sowing until late April /early May. You can sow them then in pots  on an indoor windowsill, then pot them on if they grow too big for the original pot. They do not tolerate cold conditions, so do not plant out until end of May or early June. They grow so quickly that there really is no need to sow any earlier :D

Adrian.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 16:51:09 »
I'm sure Jeannine will be here later, she is the Squash, Pumpkin Queen.  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal